Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

I need help, if you can do so please it would be great.....

So I live in Ohio right. I broke up with my old man, we were not married but lived together. We made a verbal agreement about our son. He was supposed to have him until the end of this month and then bring him back to me. Now he is saying he will not bring him back. Does anyone know if in the state of OH there is anything I can do through the courts without the father to get my son?

Answer Question

Asked by Peekalou at 11:45 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 12 (730 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • Get an attorney and get a visitiation schedule set up along with custody and support.

    sorry but why do women believe that they will stay friends with their exes when kids are involved? It's not about protecting you but protecting the child.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • sorry : (
    i would contact a lawyer right away.
    sometimes for not much money, or even no money you can get some legal advise...maybe a nicely written letter by a lawyer explaining the law to your ex would help.

    Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • I don't know abot Ohio but i would seek a Lawyer as soon as possible. i know that down south there is no law against the father having the child if there is no custody agreement . worst case senerio if he refuses to give him back report him to the police. they will arrest your ol man but that worst case. good luck keep us posted.

    Answer by Cajuntexan03 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • I don't want to stay his friend. I only want our child to have a mommy and a daddy in his life. I have no money for an attorney.

    Comment by Peekalou (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • You need to go to family court AND get a lawyer ASAP

    Answer by MELRN at 11:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • family court will get you a pro bono attorney

    Answer by MELRN at 11:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • File for custody and support. You need to get your child back. He could keep the child and file for custody and support from you first. When you file make sure you ask for an emergency temporary order.


    Answer by Gailll at 11:51 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • He used to be decent and I thought I could trust him with our child but now he has him and is doing stupid shit and won't give him back to me just because I live with my aunt and am in the process of finding employment. He don't even have a job and lives off his schooling funds. He drinks and does pills and always has a house full of people and leaves my son with his fuck buddies to babysit. The whole situation just got terrible and I wish I would have just been a cunt and said fuck you and not let my son go visit him.

    Comment by Peekalou (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • #1 is his name on the birth certificate?

    you'll have to check in your state, but I'm pretty sure that unmarried moms are considered to have full custody unless the father has petitioned for joint custody.

    My advice - call the police department (non emergency number) and tell them what's going on. If it's considered kidnapping they will handle it for you, if not they can advise you on what you need to do.

    Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • Forget pro bono. It takes too long and may be hopeless. If you want your kid you need a lawyer. The lawyer can file for the father to pay your fees. If that can't be done in your state then start selling stuff to get money. Get an extra job. Go on craigslist and say you will clean houses and pull weeds. Anything. Borrow money.

    Go to the courthouse or wherever they do child custody and support in your county today and find out if there is any way you can file without a lawyer.


    Answer by Gailll at 11:56 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.