What ever happened to children being seen and not heard when in a place of business, or medical office?

Ladybatez

Asked by Ladybatez at 12:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's not about realizing kids are people with opinions and such. What I think the OP is trying to say is kind of like a situation I saw in a dentist's office recently. A 4 year old boy was running in circles in the waiting room and swiping all the magazines off the tables onto the floor as he went by. He would step on people and even knocked a lady's purse onto the floor. The mother tried to sit him down once. But, that was the only effort on her behalf. Or how about kids that are laying on the floor throwing a temper tantrum because they are not getting what they want. These are NOT kids stating their "opinions". They are kids that are WAY out of hand.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Are you serious? Seen and Not Heard? Thankfully, we grew out of the idea that children are less than adults are...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• hahahhahaa! probably because modern people realize that children are actually people with thoughts and opinions... did you know they actually have brains that are working and learning every moment that they are alive!!!! crazy huh?
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• well thankfully we are all human and most of us have a voice. I dont mind hearing children when I go out. Some may be annoying, but then again a lot more adults are!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• lol, u sound like my mother in law, she's always like back in the day, kids were always quiet n would be scared when scolded and shut up. today kids are hardly controllable and throwing tantrums all the time. i dont know what it is about this generation, but it seems like they had it much easier.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• The whole social structure for children has changed. Our society has made it to where we are afraid to discipline children in public for fear of someone calling aurthorities. So, child behavior is getting out of hand. I'm not condoning abuse. But, if I acted like the majority of kids I see today, I would have gotten my butt whooped. There's nothing wrong with a smack on the butt. Not looking to be bashed. JMO. Getting my butt smacked made sure I never did whatever it was again.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• There's a BIG difference in kids playing nicely when out and ones that freak out! I hope you don't mean you expect them to sit there unmoving with their hands crossed!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Children should be taught to have manners in public places. Our boys are quiet, and able to talk to me in a quiet manner. People let their children walk around, get into things, and scream when they don't get their way. I look at the parents in that situation, they are to blame for the childrens bad behavior... It's all a matter of respect.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:13 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Uhm when Moms got ripped away from them and sent into the work force as primary, soul , and co supporters as a society we have no right to ask that of them anymore!
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 12:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My children have personalities that they let flow wherever they are. Do I let them yell, fight & scream in public? No but I will not tell them they have to be quiet to make someone else happy.

colethky

Answer by colethky at 12:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2010