Is 2 months too early to start cereal?

My daughter turned 2 months on 8/10 and has shown definite signs of being interested in solid foods. The doctor just told me no earlier than 4 months, but she watches me eat and does her little mouth movements like she's eating. I know foods have changed since the earlier years when mothers used to feed their babies cereal from week one to get their babies to sleep through the night (or so my family has told me) so I just wondered if this would be ok to do in this day and age?

DAjZeZnLE

Asked by DAjZeZnLE at 12:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Personally, I wouldn't do it that early. I'd wait until closer to 4 months.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Trust me at 2 months she is not showing interest in eating! 4 months is the earliest you can safely start foods.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• yeah me too, their intestines arent ready for solids yet. wait, its better,n if u feel sorry for her watching u, let her have a lick, lol. just a taste :)
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• YES! Without doubt it's to early. It can cause MANY issues with her health now and in the future... Talk to your Peds if you are worried she isnt' getting enough, but cereal this early can cause more bad than good..

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would wait too. BM or Formula is what she needs now. Cereal in 1 to 2 months!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 12:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I'd wait. Whats the rush? Giving ceral doesnt help a baby sleep through the night and a baby that little shouldnt even be sleeping that long. Its just the parent being selfish
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It is normal for babies to be interested in what you are doing. There is no need for her to have cereal this young, it serves no purpose. All she needs to breastmilk or formula.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• my sons pediatrician told me to give my son cereal at 3 weeks old. Nothing happened to him and he is perfectly fine now. My son had acid reflux really bad and wouldnt keep anything down so I had to start giving him a small cereal bottle every night and in the morning to keep him full and the food down. he loved it lol.
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 12:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It is recommended that babie be exclusively breastfed for 6 mo. A baby moving it's mouth does not mean the digestive system can digest food. Cereal is difficult to digest and isn't a good first solid. At 6 mo fork mashed banana, sweet potato, or avacado can be given to the baby to feed itself.

Formula fed babies sometimes start solids as early as 4 mo but they can wait until 6 mo. Cereal was invented as a way to get iron in babies before iron was in formula. Now that iron is in formula there is no need for difficult to digest, constipation causing cereal.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Too early. Even 4 months is too early for some. And solids do not help them sleep through the night :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010