Have you had a scare with your child falling from a screened window?

I cannot believe how many children are falling from windows this year. I am following a Facebook page for Guardian Angel Window Guards and have read the stats on Safe Kids USA. I have a 17-month old and now windows make me a nervous wreck!

jtoone

Asked by jtoone at 12:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not a screen no. Never heard of kids falling through, but I guess it makes sense.
    I did have a swingset scare once. It was one of the big ones, with the platform/clubhouse looking thing on top. There was a bee in there and she took off running in the other direction, away from the slide and jumped. Scared me to death when she started screaming then I saw her flying.
    She landed good though, hit the ground on her feet, knees bent and rolled. Stood up, brushed herself off, and calmly told me there was a big bee. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Hahaha yes, but thankfully it was only the dining room window which is only about a foot and a half off the ground from the outside (and leads out to the enclosed backyard) I don't think he fell though, just climbed out. I walked past the window and heard "Hi!" and looked to see him standing outside on top of the screen that he pushed out!!! Luckily we live in a one story so even if he did "fall" it would be much of a drop.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Eric Clapton's son fell from a window in a skyscrapper and died in NYC. I'm not sure if it had a screen. His song Tears in Heaven is about his son. It always makes me cry. The boy was with his mother.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• no not a screen window but my 3 (almost 4) year old was to be taking a nap. As was her 5 year old sister! Anyhow it sounded like they were asleep and next thing you know my 3 year old comes walking through the from door!!!! You talk about freak out!!! Anyhow she and her sister decided to hang a scarf out the window and she repelled down the side of the house (well we only have a mobile home so it wasn't as bad as it could have been!) but anyhow I was about to have a heart attack!!!!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• This is a really interesting page... http://www.facebook.com

jtoone

Comment by jtoone (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My sister fell out of a second-story window when she was 3 (I was 6). I don't think she even realized what had happened until my dad picked her up out of the dirt. She didn't get hurt at all, except for possibly some bruises, and it was a pretty decent distance from the window to the ground, and our house had a brick trim that jutted out slightly from the rest of the house. She could have easily hit that.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 12:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My sister did when we were kids. She fell from a second story window, it was spring and the ground as still soft. She was okay, just banged up a little.
    So now I am paranoid about it. The only windows that are on the second story in our house are over a cement pad, so I am extremely careful to keep those windows closed and locked.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My son unlocked and crawled out the window when he was 1 1/2 yrs old. Luckily the house was single story with low windows.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 3:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Nope.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2010