How do you get yourself out of a slump?

I'm having a pity party for myself today and I want to get out of this slump. It's been a rough few month, money issues and health issues have put me in a depression. It's a vicious cycle because I hate feeling this way and then I beat myself up for not being more positive!

Cindy18

Asked by Cindy18 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Health

• I perform a little introspection. First thing I consider is, is it close to time for my period. That always makes me a little depressed. If it's not that, I analyze what kind of external stressors I have going on in my life at the time. I write them down. I try to answer what, if anything, I can do at that moment, to get this stressor "off my plate". If it's writing the IRS a check, I do that. If it's needing to confront someone that I've been procastinating, I make the call. If it's my house is dirty, I make a list of chores and get after what I can on it.

If the cause of my stress is not something that I can eliminate, I eliminate it from my brain. Que sera sera. Lord help me to find the courage to change the things I can, the patience to tolerate the things I cannot change. And the wisdom to know the difference.
    Micksbabe

Answer by Micksbabe at 12:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• chocolate and ice cream is alwys the answer...then exercise lol!
    BrittBrat0113

Answer by BrittBrat0113 at 12:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Get out of the house! For me even going out back and laying under the tree while the girls chase eachother. The fresh air and time to reflect help put things in perspective.
    McCoolPants

Answer by McCoolPants at 12:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I put on comfy clothes, get out a couple cans of veggies to hold and dance my ass off to either CMT music videos or the radio. Then take a long shower. It always makes me feel better :-)

Hope you find something to help.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Just getting out of the house helps me. It's more just the change of scenery instead of the walls I'm used to looking at! Exercise always makes me feel better about myself. When I feel strong, I feel I can do this...I can beat whatever problem is bugging me. Then sometimes I'll just go in the bathroom and have a good cry. It doesn't really solve anything but it's a release!
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yeah I use exercise but it is hard to get motivated when you feel like crap. Get out and go for a walk with a friend it helps to talk to someone and move. Or walk the dog? I started taking Lexipro and it helped get me happier.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• exercise. it releases endorphines in your body that make you feel happy.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If I can't solve immediately or even in a few hours what's got me down then I find something that can substitute a solution. Whether it be turning up the music and dancing/singing along or even just baking a big batch of brownies and watching the biggest chicken flick I can find. Sometimes a good cry over a sappy movie is the best remedy. And what's better then that? BROWNIES!

Also long walks can help me. Clear my head, get my blood moving and my body moving. That helps me a lot when I'm mad too.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2010