Can anyone suggest a good (non-addictive) drug that can treat...

high stress/anxiety and NOT depression?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Health

• st. john's wort
    valerian root

& don't drink anything with caffeine

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• exercise
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• As far as I know, no. Most of the medications that are used to treat Depression/high stress/ etc are working on one of two chemicals. Serotonin and Dopamine. these 2 are natural occuring chemicals in the brain and work together. If you are receiving too much or too little of either of these then all sorts of problems can occur. Depression, bi-polar, OCD, anxiety, stress. It's really difficult to find the right balance of medication to balance it all out too so the best advice I can give you is to keep your doctor informed about any side effects and if you aren't comfortable taking something.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Deep breathing, meditation, biofeedback, yoga.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Well, I know my answer won't be popular, but if you live in a medical marijuana state, marijuana is non addictive, and can be used to treat stress and anxiety.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Valerian Root and St. John's Wort are great. Yes St. John's Wort is most commonly used for depression, but it is not entirely for that. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• jogging/walking/yoga all help too
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Walks, exercise, sex, swimming,bike riding, walking dogs, eating healthy, reading, massages, hobbies that keep your mind occupied. I use sewing and reading.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I also wanted to add that I am currently taking Lexipro and it seemed to help me over the slump of the anxious feelings.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I take Celexa and while it's an antidepressant/anti-anxiety drug, I've never had depression. However, it has greatly helped my anxiety, and it's very subtle and it's not addictive.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2010