Did anyone watch Penn and Teller: BS episode the other night about vaccinations?

It was soooo funny, yet soooo irritating that there are people out there who are crazy enough not to vaccinate their child because of their petty research on the internet. It's time people look to professionals for valid information don't you think?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 12:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I didn't watch it, but I agree with the anti-vax craziness!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I didn't watch that one, but I have watched a lot of them that were streamed on Netflix. My husband and I love that show, it's so funny :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I agree. I think the non-vaxing trend is extremely dangerous. There are instances where children shouldn't be vaccinated at certain times or for certain things, but those instances are few and far between, and NOT the norm.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I agree I was hesitant at first about vaccinating my child after hearing all the stories, but I actually asked my doctor about it and they said vaccines had nothing to do with children becoming ADD or Autistic. She actually told me that it seems like alot of doctors categorize children as being ADD just so they can drug em up and the parents won't have to deal with them just being kids. It's sad.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Didn't see it. Strange they were talking about immunizations. Remember, not all experts agree. Immunizations are good for public health but they aren't necessarily good for the individual. that was a message I heard over and over again in my public health classes in grad school.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My son has autism. I for one do not think it was caused from vax'ing. But that is just my humble opinion as well as his Doctors. IJS
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I did do the research with the "professionals" as you call them and it was because of THEM that we decided not to vaccinate our kids. There are plenty of doctors, scientists and other "professionals" which do not vaccinate and do not believe they are healthy... Our research was done through doctors and the CDC, not everyone feels the way you do and it's rather ignorant of YOU to assume that those who don't vaccinate do so because they choose to believe what they read online... Obviously, you are the one lacking education - not us!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• vaccines had nothing to do with children becoming ADD or Autistic. She actually told me that it seems like alot of doctors categorize children as being ADD just so they can drug em up and the parents won't have to deal with them just being kids.

***
    I agree with what my professionals say as well, and even though BOTH of our children have autism, we have yet to put them on any medication, and hope that we never will! People who think parents WANT an autism diagnosis are delusional. Autism is NOT a death sentence, it just means you have to work harder as a parent to help them be the absolute best they can be!! But some parents simply don't want to work that hard!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:51 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I do not have a beef with vaccinations, just with the immunization schedule. I would like to see studies and data provided regarding the practice of giving so many different inoculations at once, to such neurologically immature babies. I would prefer that the information supplied come from various sources rather than exclusively from the pharmaceutical companies.

I give vaccinations to children and I always load the parents with as much info as possible and encourage them to do outside research. Our population includes medically fragile, as well as extremely pre-term and VLBW patients. As a practitioner who has witnessed adverse reactions, I worry about giving some many different agents at one time. How would one isolate which vaccine was the culprit, if a reaction occurred? I also wonder why other industrialized nations do not inoculate accordingly?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I did not. However, I got all of the required immunizations for my kids. My daughter gets a flu shot because her asthma goes into overdrive once fall hits. I used to work around patients with infectious diseases like active chicken pox, hepatitis, measles, and my biggest fear was that maybe I was not immunized enough or that it wore off and that I would pass something to my kids. My body will not accept the Rubella vaccine so I have to get that one all the time.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2010