School after surgery?

My 5 yr old son just had his adenoids out yesterday and at first the Dr said he'd only be done a day or so then he should be back to normal. However, when I was talking to the nurse about him starting school monday and that I'm glad he won't have to miss for recovery time, she said oh, well he shouldn't play too hard at recess or PE, and definitly no singing. It's Kindergarten, so that's half his day! Should I send him and have him be excluded or keep him home for the first week? They told me if the scabs start bleeding he has to go to the nearest ER immediatly? I don't know what to do and family and friends are giving me mixed resposnes, my husband is pissed at me, so any helpful advice would be great! :)

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I would just have the dr write a note about recess and PE-in our school all day school they did one 10 recess and 20min PE session-there was no singing the first week at all even in music-so you could explain to the teacher if that is not the case with your school-would hate for my kids to miss the whole first week of school
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 7:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would keep him home, so we can relax, sleep, and heal properly.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 12:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would keep him home so he can heal properly. Being that he is only 5 and in kindergarten, it is hard to get them to "not play too hard". At home, you can monitor his activity and get him to the ER if necessary.
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I'd keep him home, just talk to the school. They'll probably need something from the doctor saying that's why he was gone that first week.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My child was out of school for 5 days and the weekends for tonsil and adnoids, then on light duty for a month or more. She, too, was in Kindergarden.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 12:07 AM on Aug. 14, 2010