HELP PLEASE--what do you do if a family member has bad mental problems (all-but-suicidal) but won't get help?

my sister-in-law is 30 something and lives with her parents still. she has childhood diabetes as well.
today, maybe yesterday, she decided that she is NOT GOING TO EAT anymore. just drink juice.
my mother-in-law has been begging her to eat and crying and all.

she needs help. big time help. but they can't get her to get help.

please give me some ideas of who to call/what to do?????????? i'm going to be googling like crazy social services but if anyone has a bright idea, please let me know. my husband is of course very upset, this is his sister.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Health

• Call her Medical Insurance company. They will be paying for her stay in Psychiatric Hospital and they will tell you which Hospitals are covered under her plan. Then call her General Practitioner. She may need to be committed temporarily by her immediate family (as long as her Health Plan will allow). If she has no Medical coverage, than have her Mother call the Dr. she goes to to monitor the Diabetes and they will help with the psychiatric arrangements or tell her what to do next.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Do not call the police!! Their abilities are limited.
    I would call her diabetic Dr and get her in asap. perhaps they can refer her to better help.
    And tell your MIL to stop responding to her negative behavior it will just make her behave poorly for longer
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 12:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Take her to her dr and see what they can do, maybe a referrel for some help. If not you might try to call your local mental health clinic and see what they say... I hope she gets some help soon!!! GL!
    Marshallsmom422

Answer by Marshallsmom422 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2010