How can I help my 4th grader with penmanship?

The really don't emphasize penmanship at my son's school, and I can see that his self-developed system of printing is slowing him down and making it hard for others to read his handwriting. I'd like to give him some exercises at home, but need to find something appropriate for a child his age. Any suggestions?

barefootbooks

Asked by barefootbooks at 12:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• practice and patience...

Answer by rkoloms at 12:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Practice makes perfect ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My hand writing has always been horrible. I still get made fun of by DH & my DD. Nothing every really helped. Teachers have tried to help me out, but i always went back to writing the way i was used to writing. Just tell him to slow down...that helps me alot.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• You are going to have to work with him at home. You can make it fun by having him help you by writing your grocery list for you. Or your to do list. Have him write reviews on books he's read. Anything like that to make it more like fun than work. Believe me, it will only get worse. My boys are seniors this year. Ever since hitting high school, there have been NO written papers. It's all done on the computer and transported between school and home and back to school again via flash drives. They don't even turn actual PAPER papers in. The assignment is uploaded to a universal drive at school and the teachers pull the assignment from there!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• http://www.homeeducationresources.com/FREEhandwriting.htm

They have printable sheets you can use that may help you at home.. Good luck..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 12:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Is he 'printing' or writing cursive? 4th graders should definitely be writing in cursive. If he is writing cursive and he has been allowed to form his letters incorrectly, you may have to teach him the correct formation of the letters again and then have him practice. At first, you will have to be diligent and right beside him as he is writing so that you KNOW he is forming the letters write. Bad habits are hard to break! We homeschool and our kiddos start writing cursive in 1st grade. We use ABEKA and the workbooks are fairly inexpensive but they definitely will teach proper formation of letters and plenty of practice.
    https://www.abeka.com/ABekaOnline/BookDescription.aspx?sbn=106453 (This is the 4th grade book but I would recommend going back to a 2nd or 3rd grade because they provide more instruction on proper formation, etc.)
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 2:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If you could find some of the old penmanship lessons from about 50 years ago, they would be most helpful. That's how I was taught to write, and I can still remember the rules to this day. There were letters on sheets of paper that you could trace until you got the hang of how to write the letters. I think there were even words to trace. I have no idea where you would find that stuff, but if you could locate it, it would be really helpful for him.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Practice.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 7:01 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Are you sure he is writing with the right hand? Maybe he is right handed, but should be left handed, or vice verca? Tell him to slow down and take his time...and practice practice, practice!
    Tatumsmommy0123

Answer by Tatumsmommy0123 at 8:22 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• http://ourseeds.tripod.com/langartslinks.html

make sure he understands the words..and even get a turtor, if possible
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 11:28 AM on Aug. 14, 2010