Do you expect to receive Social Security benefits when you retire?

If not, then how do you plan to support yourself in old age?

barefootbooks

Asked by barefootbooks at 12:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• no
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I have my doubts about social security being around when I'm old enough to collect.. And I'm 47, so it's really not that far away.. LOL

I have a retirement account, savings and some investments.. My husband has his.. And we also have some joint savings and investments.. We've spent 25 years (so far) putting away for our "golden years"..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I'm 26 and even though we SHOULD get it since we pay it in... I am not going to hold my breath- I will be saving back my own retirement funds as a back up!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 1:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i'm 23 and the likelihood of seeing social security is not great
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i never expected it, and i am 40. yes, even 30 years ago we knew we were doing this wrong!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I am retired and I get benefits and Medicare.
    But if I were in my 20's, I would start saving and saving and saving and avoid spending money on luxuries since all I hear is that Social Security will be out of funds soon.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If there's any money left in the program, yes. I've paid enough into it. But I'm not holding my breath.

DH and I put a lot of money aside in our 401ks and investments.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Nah, the money I'm paying in was given out already. We have a 401k and are saving, and will not be relaxing into retirement at 55, probably closer to 68.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Nope. It will be long gone by then. I prefer to rely on my own residual income to support us over hoping the government will have anything for me!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• HaHaHaHaHa!!!! No.....There won't be Social Security by the time we retire and we are planning accordingly for our financial future. They are already trying to raise the minimum age to collect it up to 70. I hope no one on here is planning on relying on the gov't to take care of them in their old age because it isn't going to happen. Plan now so that you don't become a financial burden on your children.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:35 PM on Aug. 13, 2010