2nd inductions?

as some of you mommas know if I don't go into labor naturally by the 23rd of this month I get to pick a day that week to be induced. Well now I'm anxious lol. I know everything will go ok but I have some questions. first has anyone been induced the second time around and did it go faster? I was induced with my first and was in labor from start to finish 28 hours. This one I am hoping to go by quicker. Also do you think I would be able to use a birthing tub? I want to try different alternatives this time then meds. I had morphine and an epidural with the first. I'm not scared to get the epidural again but do not want the morphine. I would like to walk around, use the birthing ball and the tub. Does anyone have any 2nd labor stories they wanna share? I'm just excited lol :)

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 1:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• What happens if you just don't get induced on the 23rd? How far along will that be? Maybe if you wait, you won't have such a long hard labor.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I can't wait my doc said it has to be that week due to medical problems. I can't wait any longer. I will be somewhere bettween 38 and 40 weeks by then. My son is already measuring between 9-10lbs. I am very small, have a fibroid in my uterus that is causing complications. I have also been going into labor since 5 months so this is what will be best for me and the baby.
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Oh ok. Just curious. Just make sure once they start the induction, you stay up and moving and trying different positions. Don't let them stick you on your back in bed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would wait until that Thursday or Friday. I would wait as long as possible. Well, *I* would never be induced or augmented again because it isn't safe for a VBAC, but that isn't your concern.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i doubt you can use a birthing pool. depending on how you are being induced, they will most likely want to monitor you constantly in case the baby goes into distress. i don't know whether they can to intermittent monitoring but it's definitely something to ask your doctor about. i'd pick the last day available for the induction.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Oh ok. Just curious. Just make sure once they start the induction, you stay up and moving and trying different positions. Don't let them stick you on your back in bed. BradenIsMySon Answer by BradenIsMySon 3 minutes ago
    Credits: 12315 Level 22

See i was kind of thinking they will most likely have you stuck in bed on your back, saying they need to monitor you. i'm generally anti-EFM (monitoring) but i honestly do not know when it comes to inductions if it's better or not. i strongly believe that in a *normal* birth, EFM does more harm than good. GL!!! :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• when I was induced with my son I could walk around and stuff until I got the epidural then I had to stay in the bed obviously. And I'm not saying I will be induced on the 23rd lol. I don't want it to be that quick. Our 4 year old said Wednesday so we were thinking that could be that babies birthday. Then when they get older we could say hey Owen Travis picked your birthday. We've made our son a huge part of this pregnancy. I am also further along with this pregnancy then I was with my son. I had him at 36 weeks and he was 9lbs and perfectly healthy. I have had my betamethasone shots with this one too so his lungs are completly developed. And I don't want to give birth in the tub I just want to labor in it to relax. Definetly gonna ask my dr. about that one but if I can't it's no biggie.
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 1:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i havent but i've heard the 2nd is quicker and you already know what to expect...not sure if you can do the birthing pool tho...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:35 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My second induction was very similar to the first. Both times, my labor was long and I got to 4 cm and stayed there forever until I got my epidural, which made me progress very quickly. My second was a bit shorter than the first at 36 hours instead of 41. It was slightly more painful, but still bearable. Good luck!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Also, if I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten my epidural much sooner. It seems to the the one thing that really speeds up my labors.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2010