Thumb suckers

My six year old is a thumb sucker. How did you ween them off this bad habit? I'm still looking for the best way to do this my eldest didn't suck his thumb much at all.

SabrinaBean

Asked by SabrinaBean at 1:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I sucked my thumb until I was 12 I think, and the only thing that finally had an impact was going to the dentist. He should me the most ugly mold of teeth he could probably pull out of his arsenal - OMG right after that I stopped. He also told me if I didn't stop they would have to put braces on that could they put spikes on so anytime I stuck my thumb in my mouth I'd poke it.

My brother and sister sucked their thumbs until they were probably 14 or 15. I will tell you nothing worked they had to simply grow out of it. I think for us it was most certainly a security thing and a way to calm ourselves - my dad was very abusive.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I stopped with bribery. My mother put a chart in my room. Every day we crossed off a box. When I went 2 complete weeks we went to the toy store and she bought me anything I wanted in the whole store. I chose a $4 jump rope! But I really wanted to stop. It embarrassed me.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• bribes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Have a dentist insert a rake.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I don't know, but you should try as much as you can, my SO admits to sucking his thumb until he was a senior in High School, he said usually just sitting there in class or when he went to sleep
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Good luck, I sucked till I was 12. My parents tried EVERYTHING.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Thanks guys!! I'll definitely try some of these things. My MIL just told me that my husband sucked his thumb until he was 13, maybe even later--he has denied this! :P
    SabrinaBean

Comment by SabrinaBean (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I still suck my fingers.. my parents took me to disney world when they thought I stopped.. My teeth are perfectly straight..
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 3:35 PM on Aug. 13, 2010