fencing or border...

i have a small yard & needed some inspiration or HELP with what type of fencing or border to use. its basically a rectangle. maybe shrubs would be best??? what type is fast growing & good for that?

mbeatles4evr

Asked by mbeatles4evr at 1:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You may want to check with your city, etc, about doing that - some have ordinances stating that anything you put up has to be X feet from the edge of your property, or you have to have something signed by your neighbors saying it's okay, etc - in know in my town it's 10feet from the property line for anything. As for what to use, or what's fast, I have no idea - because of our 10ft rule we didn't do anything.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• 10 ft is usually for a building/permanent structure, not a fence. Fence or border can be put just shy of or if your neighbor agrees ON the property line. Shrubs, you want something that will grow in your area and will bush out to fill in the blank spots....talk to a local nursery.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I agree with both post
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:24 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• We live in CA-the land of the fenced yard. Check your HOAs if applicable, for rules and regs. Make sure you know exactly where the property line sits.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Before installing a fence (which is USUALLY permissible ON your property line--unless you live on a corner and need to abide by the "sight triangle" law or have any public easements), you will need to have a professional surveyor check and mark your property lines, before your town will issue you a permit--which costs a fee as well.

Once you decide on a fence...I recommend evergreen shrubs like "privet," "arbovitae," or "boxwood" to line your property and provide some privacy and a backdrop. Fast growing shrubs (6 plus feet in ONE season) are Butterfly Bush and Forsythia. Some rose and hydrangea varieties are also quick growers. Other shrubs to consider are Rose of Sharon, Mock Orange and Lilac--slow growers but dense branches in winter.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• THANK YOU ALL FOR INPUT YOU'VE POSTED. I HAVE RECENTLY GOT INTO A COTTAGE TYPE 2 BEDROOM HOUSE. 30'S?? SMALL YARD FRONT & BACK. I STILL CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND ABOUT WHAT I MIGHT WANT.THERE ARE SO MANY WAYS TO GO BUT I WANT TO STAY SIMPLE, CLEAN AND MY ROOMMATE WANTS "FLOWERS" AND "CATUS/SUCULENTS" TOGETHER! OMG....AGAIN, THANKS YOU ALL. I'LL BE STILL ON THE HUNT :O)
    mbeatles4evr

Comment by mbeatles4evr (original poster) at 12:30 AM on Oct. 21, 2010