Even though your marriage might have been God aweful....after your divorce (or breakup) do you guys get along well now for you childrens sake?

I have a pretty decent relationship with my ex husband and there aren't many problems. I get along with his girlfriend and him my fiance. We are all happier now that we are divorced.

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• My ex refuses to cooperate in the treatment of my son's autism. My son's therapist has determined that we need to just go on and do what we can. I try my best to bite my tongue despite his behavior. It's better for me to do so than to fight with him as he can't seem to keep our disagreements away from out child.
    So, in other words, i do what I did for most of my marriage to him
    I fake it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yes, I can get along better with my ex husband now that we are divorced.I wouldnt hang out with him,lol..but we don't argue as much for sure.We only talk to eachother about our son though. Sometimes he'll try to talk about other things but I always say I'm busy and I have to go...I don't feel like hearing his mumbo jumbo.His wife however, I don't talk to her but I don't talk about her or be mean to her either.Long story there..its just best I dont speak to her,lol.
    Pretty much the only thing that my ex husband and I fight about now is his lack of child support payments. I've recieved only $100 in almost a year from him.He owes A LOT.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Kimberly....sorry about your child support. I thought child support might be an issue if left in his control so I had them garnish his wages when I filed for child support. Never had a problem recieving support because he's not had a choice:)
    worriedmommy600

Comment by worriedmommy600 (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yes---it is fine. I waited until my last child was graduated from high school before deciding that I really couldn't stand being married to him anymore. So...by the time we were divorced,my kids were over 20 years old and we all get along ....we are civilized and get along for the kids and the family on a whole. It can be done.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I look at it this way, if I didn't have children with my ex, i wouldn't spit on him if he was on fire, but since he did give me 2 beautiful girls, I can at least be civil to him and let him know whats going on in the girls lives. I am originally from Michigan, but choose to stay in Georgia after my divorce so the girls can be close to their dad. Its my responsibility to raise healthy, well adjusted adults, and a good relationship with both parents is crucial.
    JCGoneLoony

Answer by JCGoneLoony at 2:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I haven't been divorced but I know my parents did when I was 5.... the refuse to talk/look at eachother..... my dad missed my son's first birthday because my mom wass there...... SOOOO ANNOYING that they act like this
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• We are trying, but its hard. I would prefer to never see him again, but cant. But, I am also fully capable of being friendly with him and realize its best for our son, he is the one who makes it hard and isnt necessarily cooperative. He has a new g/f, but she avoids me (pisses me off, we should be adults in this situation), I dont have any one for him to be upset about yet, but I am sure it will cause a problem when I do.
    kimbob2284

Answer by kimbob2284 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My parents are divorced, and do not speak to one another. That's probably best. It sucks for my kids though, for they will never hang with grandma and grandpa together at the same time. My dad does his own bday thing for my kids, and my mom will be at the famiy bash I throw. Oh well, everyone is happiest that way. My kids are used to it being the norm.

We'll ee how sporting events or dance recitals pan out someday. :) They will probably just sit apart.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• We not only got along for our boys, but we remained friends too.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 3:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My ex is friendly with me regarding our child - but very cold towards my husband. And the thing is - I met my husband a YEAR AFTER we split up. There is no reason to think my husband is this bad guy when he's always very nice and friendly and great with my daughter. (My daughter likes him a lot so maybe my ex is jealous about that).
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 4:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010