Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

would it help to get someone involuntarily committed, or make things worse?

my SIL says she is NOT going to eat anymore. she is only going to drink juice. she is diabetic. she has mental health problems, depression, something. she needs help but is unwilling. do you think calling her dr to get her committed would help, or make things worse? i just don't know what is best and people are looking to me for what to do :(

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • It takes a lot to get someone involuntarily committed. Usually they need to be threatening death to themselves or to others. In some cases, even threatening is not enough, it takes actually action. My family learned this the hard why when my mom's cousin (who is a paranoid schizophrenic) tried to kill his dad. He stabbed his father 7 times. Luckily, my great uncle lived, but my second cousin is now in jail--where they still can not make him take his medication. He has rights.

    Answer by layh41407 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • If she's a diabetic and refusing to eat she could die. Have her committed, get her the help she so obviously needs.

    Answer by Scuba at 2:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • IF someone is a danger to themselves or others, it's worth going through the steps of 302 (involuntary committal). IF she is not, then it's really not worth it, it both can and will make things worse on a relationship level. However, as a person who has been hospitalized with a mental condition, even if you decide to go through the steps of a 302 they can not force medication or treatment...

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • I'd call her physician.

    Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:13 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • Unless you are listed in her medical records as being authorized, HIPPA will prevent her Dr. from disclosing any information about her. But you CAN call her doctor and tell them what YOU know. That said, most physicians will refuse to even speak to an unauthorized person due to concerns re: HIPPA.

    As far as involuntary commitment--I have gone through this process. There are some key things you have to cover and give examples of. The number one thing is that they are a threat to themselves and/or others. I would recommend contacting your local community mental health and asking about the guidelines in your area. Or call local psychiatrists offices or hotlines. That's how I learned what I needed to do. I will warn you though, it doesn't often end up pretty on the backend--even if the person gets truly well. It can be a real sacrifice to go to bat like this. But sometimes, that is necessary.

    Answer by BuddyRoo at 2:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • I would talk it over with her doctor either way. There may be other methods to go about helping her, but talk with her doctor and see what you and them can do.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • I've been through involuntary commitment of a loved one -- it's hard but you have to do what you need to in order to save them. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the process!!

    Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • I agree I'd definitely call the Dr.

    Answer by mollgirl at 3:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • Call her Dr. They can't tell you that they are treating her unless she gave her Dr. a Release Of Information.But he will listen to you.It's very hard to get someone committed.What type of mental health issues does she have?& what is her reasoning for the food strike?You can also check on her and try to find out what is going on with her.She may just need some attention.She sounds depressed too.Good luck sweetie!!!

    Answer by bvannkissy at 3:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.