dose any one know a non medicating way of helping her adjust?

I have a beautiful daughter who just turned 6. She also just started all day kindergarten. She is having trouble in class. She is very energetic and loves to talk. I believe she has ADHD. I have not had her tested for fear of labeling. Any input would be great thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First off, i believe that ADD, ADHD, and autism is diagnosed way too often. so she likes to talk... a lot. Shes 6, of course she does. You need to discipline your child when she acts out, that way when she is at school she knows the repercussion of acting out/up. If you tell her to use her indoor voice and she continues to scream. put her in time out or if you believe in spanking... you need to set the example at home so she realizes what is expected of her. Deal with her at home so the teachers dont have to deal with her at school... we have enough problems dealing with other children...
    Anonymous

• My son is getting better at Kindergarten. I use a reward system at home. He has to get 4 check marks a day (for various duties). If he gets 4 checks he gets a smiley face sticker. If he gets 4 stickers (M-F), he gets a reward on Friday. This seems to work for him. I hope this helps....Good Luck.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• If she's never been in a group setting before she might just need to get used to groups. Talk with her teacher, what does she think? You two brainstorm the situation. Just keep in mind Kindergarteners need to be beginning readers now to make it in the first grade, you don't want her getting behind!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 10:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I have a 6 year old who has been diagnosed with adhd, and although i was confused about the medicine debate, I don't agree with it now bc no one knows what the long term effects of the medicine will be. He constantly gets in trouble at school for talking. But he is in kindergarten again this year, at another school, and he seems to be adjusting well. Ever since he's been in daycare, he has been on the hyper side. But he seems to be calming down except for the talking. I am currently giving him omega 3 vitamins and staying away from anything that has artificial dyes in it, and surprisingly it has helped. Except everything almost has red dye in it, so i have to be very careful. But if I were you i would go to a vitamin shop, or herbal gallery and see what they suggest.
    3boys2luv

Answer by 3boys2luv at 10:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Definitely look into natural alternatives before the medicine. And as for the anonymous poster, I can't believe you would be so negative. As if parents with children of adhd don't discipline our children. It's often quite the opposite.
    Anonymous

• Get rid of all sugars and watch her carbohydrate intake. You can also try burning a lot of energy. Have her play outside instead of watch tv, etc. Try to get her in dance lessons or karate or something that uses a lot of energy. And I think they have a natural alternative with no known side efffects. I'm not really sure the name of it though.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 11:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• When my son was in KG (he's now in 4th grade) his KG teacher suggested we have him evaluated 4 ADHD & it turned out that he does have it as well as ODD (oppositional defiant disorder). He's on medication & behavioral therapy which in combination, seem 2 help although he still has off days where he just doesn't want 2 cooperate w/ & listen 2 his teacher. I believe that ADHD & other similar medical conditions are not something that children who suffer w/ them, have full (or any 4 that matter) control of 100% all the time. I would start by talking 2 her teacher. Also there r 2 websites that have alot of valuable info. www.webmd,com & www.additudemag.com. Lastly, I would also talk 2 her pediatrician 4 a referral 2 a pediatric psychologist who can properly evaluate her if u decide 2 do so. If u want 2 talk, send me a message & I'd b happy 2 share what I know from personal experience. Take care.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Change her diet. She needs more fruits and veggies and a lot less processed foods. It will help her concentration. Also talk to her about school is not a social time unless it's recess time. Keep at it. You're doing a great job!! There are a lot of parents who just pop pills in their kids mouths and send them to school. Again, doing a good job!!!
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• First of all- just having her tested will not "label"her -- if she truely has ADHD and you don't want to admit it you're in for a long road ahead! Getting her evaluated could open up doors to some really useful resources. Behavior and Social Skills therapy are really good and proven methods for small children with ADHD. I grew up with ADD and my parents never wanted to take me to a doctor for it because they didn't want me to have an excuse -- I made D's and F's throughout school andalways had trouble making friends. Now that I've learned more about the disorder and am willing to admit that I have it I am making straight A's in college, earned a promotion in my fulltime job and am able to be organized at home--- I even have a wide network of friends. Learning what is wrong and admitting it will help you to control it. Don't run from therapy! Drugs, on the other hand, are totally up to you! Good luck!
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 8:14 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I agree with raybell. I started feeding my son non sugary cereal and less sugar oatmeal for breakfast and he seem to focus more on his behavior and schoolwork.. Good Luck!!!!BUMP
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2008