The EEOC is now SUING companies over conducting background checks on prospective employees?!

Why is our current administration continuing to put road blocks up that only serve to derail any chance for economic recovery?

Our economy is already screwed and high unemployment is here to stay. Now the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is suing companies that have the nerve to conduct background and credit checks on applicants!!

Yet, if a company doesn't conduct background checks, and an employee with a criminal history goes on to hurt another worker or a member of the public, they will likely get sued by the victim or the victim's survivors!!

In Obama's world, between this, taxes and health care, it will be a lot easier for companies to just not hire anyone!! Which means the economy and unemployment will only continue to get worse, not better.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/7149128.html

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 2:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• So, now it's racist to run credit checks on everyone because blacks have more of these problems than whites do. The companies are saying no to employment based on ACTIONS not color.

When you live irresponsibly, there are consequences. I would not want a person who was tens of thousands of dollars in debt (without prejudice), showing an inability to keep to a budget, in charge of purchasing for my company.

In my experience, it's not like (most) companies look at these numbers and say "no". they usually say "why" if the person is otherwise a quality applicant. I had a friend who was looking to move up, and was told "wait" based on his credit. He had to make an action plan, which was really just an explanation of his divorce and reconciled wife's medical history, and he moved up in the next round.

Why is the government trying to legislate a pass on bad behavior?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I don't think the government should get involved in the hiring practices of private companies. There are white people who commit crimes and have shady credit.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I take issue with the credit checks because they are an invasion of privacy beyond credit score - the report reveals the name of creditors...including medical collections. THAT for me is a huge issue - anyone who runs DH's credit report for a job sees bills that went to collections from radiology, surgeon, hospital, anesthesiologist, etc, while workman's comp and insurance fought over who should pay what. That will be on his report for 7 years, even though they are long since dealt with.

This isn't the way to fix it, though - they need to restrict what is visible on the reports, and they need to allow general background checks. Sorry if I want one done on the people who are in a position to care for my child when I'm not there - if they can't pass one they shouldn't have the job.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I DO think a criminal background check is a good idea but NOT a credit check, unless they are going into the finance industry and even then it needs to NOT have everything on it. I agree with notpanicking, there are some things on credit reports that are no ones business such outstanding balance for medical reasons.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I do background checks, but I have never done credit checks for my employees. I don't feel their credit history is important for the jobs I hire for.

I can see why it is important for some jobs though. My former career was in banking and my credit was checked. I handled millions of dollars and it would have been easy to "appropriate" some of them and be long gone before it was discovered. I don't see a need for a prospective employer to know every who and $ amount though. They have a FICO score, why not another type of general score for prospective employers.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I don't 100% agree with the credit score though. I can't say in my years of working in hospitals that someone who was in their 4th year of a bankruptcy was more likely to steal the wallet off a recently decease person any more than someone with an 800 credit score.

Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• With all the uenployed peope unable to keep up with debt. I don't really agree with the background check on credit. It may cost a potentially good employee a job
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would want employees to have background checks to find out of they have a criminal past. I think it is safer that way for everyone. I don't want to be working with a former white collar criminal or even a drug dealer,know what I mean? WHat the heck is wrong with the EEOC? Nuts.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Criminal back ground check I understand. Credit back ground check is ridiculous.  If someone is in a bad situation because of the economy.  It wouldn't be a far stretch that their credit score is hurting.  Now not only are they having financial difficulties because of the economy, they are judged for it.  What a vicious cycle.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Criminal back ground check I understand. Credit back ground check is ridiculous. If someone is in a bad situation because of the economy. It wouldn't be a far stretch that their credit score is hurting. Now not only are they having financial difficulties because of the economy, they are judged for it. What a vicious cycle.

_______________________________________________________
    these rules existed long before the economy was in trouble.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010