lunch lady

I got offered a job to work in an elemantary school kitchen. Its good $ and I work 4 hours a day(will be home for my 3 kids) I also get school vacations off and holidays and summers. Plus this school lets you collect , but my kids are embaressed ,,,,,They say i have alot of education and i am lowering myslelf. the economy is so bad ill take what i can get!! What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think you shouldn't let your children affect your decision to work. Sure it may be embarassing for them, but when they are older and realise how that money helped contribute to them, i.e. popular clothes, shoes, school supplies, food, games, christmas, birthdays, etc. and then in the long run, college, a car, etc. I think they will appriciate it and laugh about it later. Take the job if your family needs the money.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Take what you can get! It shouldn't be embarrassing to your kids, you are working to help make a better life for them. We all do what we must.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Whether what they say is true or not (Which I don't agree) you need to take the job that benefits you and your family. I don't care if you have a PHD, if you have no other options OR you want to work there then go for it. It doesn't matter the reasons, if you're okay with it then go for it. You really should do what's good for your family.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It's your choice, not theirs. If you are comfortable and it is what you want right now then go for it! Tell the kids you are doing what is right for you...........as you want them to do when they get older. You will support them in their decisions. You are looking for their support about this decision. Best of luck to you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i think that would be an ideal job!
    how old are your kids? if they are teens a little embarrassment will be good for them : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Sounds like a great idea to me. The kids just don't want you that close. I would be respectful of their feeling and keep my distance when I was at the school.

Have fun.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If I were able to do that job and be able to avoid daycare, I'd do it in a second. There is no shame in hard work and you are definitely not lowering yourself. Your kids will be fine and any embarassment they suffer will be short lived.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• A friend of mine has a master's in education and works at Target so she can be home before and after school for her kids. I do not think she's lowering herself and I don't think you are lowering yourself. Do not let your children dictate your life. Do what you think is best for your family.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I subbed as lunch lady and every other position in the school. My son was never embarrassed. I wouldn't let the kids affect my decision.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My kids are 9 14....15...Its funny how kids react. I do have a degree i think its me who is worse, but i did sub and i loved it ,,,,,so the h w,. what others think!!!
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2010