Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

state issue

even though my bf lives with me does the state have right to send child support papers out, when ih their eyes we are married because we live under the same roof and have a child together.

Answer Question

Asked by natasha86 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 15 (1,879 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • huh?

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • You are not married, in the state's eyes. Which is why you cannot file taxes together. You are room mates.

    But you would have to file for child support, the state will not do it on your behalf.

    Answer by lovinangels at 2:35 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • It depends. A friend's or mine pays child support to his live in gf. She just puts in in the bank for them all to use. He was downsized and now has a much lower paying job, they have 3 kids and she is a SAHM and he's still looking. When she went to apply for food stamps to help out, they said she couldn't until she filed for child support. It's not like the money goes to anyone else. They still get to keep it.

    Answer by layh41407 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • Legally you must be married - if the issue is that you are collecting some kind of assistance and they are going after him for support, the only way to avoid that is to be legally married.

    Answer by NotPanicking at 2:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

  • Probably depends on how long you've lived together. You may be considered "common law" married.

    Answer by coder_chick at 3:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.