The tree that Adam and Eve weren't supposed to eat from?

Why it a normal tree that they couldn't eat from just because? Or was it like a magical tree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Biblically it's called the "tree of knowledge." As far as I know there is no normal fruit tree with the ability to make one smarter or give Knowledge... So I would have to go with "Magical" over mundane.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• it was this way bc GOD said so...they were being tested and failed.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• The lesson is about the principle of obedience rather than the actual tree itself, but it is unknown what type of tree it was. If it were a magical tree, I hope it grew Lucky Charms on it because, you know, they are "magically delicious."
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• In order to understand the Hebrew myth , you need to read the original story from where it came- which is located in the more Ancient Sumerian creation myth.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think it to be more of a symbol. It was the tree of knowledge, thus tempting them.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I dont think that it was a magical tree. I think it was like any other fruit tree. BUT God told them not to eat of it. Interestingly In the Book of Genesis, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil or the tree of knowledge was a tree in the middle of the Garden of Eden. God directly forbade Adam (Eve having not yet been created) to eat the fruit of this tree. A companion tree, the Tree of Life, was in the garden, also. A serpent tempted Eve, who was aware of the prohibition, to eat the forbidden fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. The serpent had suggested to Eve that eating the fruit would make one wise. Eve and then Adam ate the forbidden fruit, and they became aware of their nakedness (Genesis 3:6-7). After discovering their disobedience, God banished the couple from the garden in order to deny them access to the Tree of Life which would give them immortality.
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 3:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Agree with Butterfly1108 and 2tinyhineys.

Being naked is not evil. They were created that way. The fact that sin entered the picture made them feel a sense of shame and vulnerability that caused them to hide. They had never felt that way before when walking with God so what changed? Was it nakedness? No. It was the awareness of going against God and the immediate seperation that it caused. So God covered their shame and vulnerability with love by giving them clothing but there was consequences for sin just as there always are.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 4:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It was the tree of knowledge of good and evil. It wasn't going to make them smarter or wiser if they ate of it. It was going to make them aware of the nature and responsibility of choice(I.e. Freewill) and the neccesity of obedience to God. Personally i believe it was a set up, according to the nature of yahweh as outlined in the bible. He is allegedly all knowing. He knew what would happen but deliberately arranged a scenario that would cause adam and eve, and all humanity, to suffer. Seems mean spirited to me. Jmo.
    angelenia

Answer by angelenia at 4:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• The Tree represented God's Authority on earth, much as you could say the equivalent of a National Flag, Adams taking what was not his was the same as someone desecrating the Flag as an act of defiance, rebellion, much as those in other Countries do with say the U.S. Flag. Total rejection of that authority.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 5:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It couldnt be Magical, it goes against what the bible says! (something my mil would say LOL)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2010