Have any of you mommy's painted over wallpaper?

I want to paint r bathroom but it has wallpaper there's alittle bit where it bubbles up but not too bad only when we use hot water my dh says we should wait till we remove the paper but that has been 2 years I just want to do it myself but not remove the wallpaper if it doesn't work maybe with the paint on the wallpaper the paper will come off a lot easier...lol
now my next question r bathroom has a dark wood color on the cabinets (not cherry wood dark) What color goes well?
The tile has yellow squiggly lines with white and the counter has a pale yellow color to it with white and grayish inside. I personally don't li,e it but hey I have to do it the cheapest way out. Thanks ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Seriously, just removie it, if your DH wont help you, you should do it yourself. You'll get a better result, and I am pretty sure you can make home made wallpaper remover. Then go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a scraper to get the wall smooth, prime, and paint.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Wall paper isn't that hard to take off. Use hot water with fabric softener, get one of those scoreres and run it all over it. Then spray the hot water mix on it. That's what we took borders down with. I have painted over old paneling stuff in a bathroom in a trailor back in the day, but never over wall paper. But I would use a light yellow color. Not bright, but kind of like a creamy yellow. Like an off white with yellow hue maybe. Just use a primer, pry 2 coats if it's over wall paper.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• go to HGTV or DIY and look for helpful hints
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• You can use a steamer to get the wallpaper off the wall , steam peel and scape. Don't paint over it.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 2:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If the wallpaper is bubbling now, when you apply the wet paint it will get worse. Start out with a corner and see how easy it is to scrape off - hopefully it comes off easily.

You can paint over wallpaper, I had to in two rooms. (Our house has plaster walls, and was papered in the early 1900's as near as I could tell. I tried removing it and it was a disaster. I had to repair the plaster.) I used a thin coat of primer first, then applied the actual color. The walls turned out really well.

As for color, sounds like something in the yellow family would work ok.

Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I have painted over wall paper but I ran into it lifting. If your wallpaper is loose enough I would suggest ripping it off. If you don't get all the backing off don't worry about it paint over it (make sure the loose parts are off) and it will look like a textured wall. Also I am into nautical so with darker furniture I would pry do a cream and light blue with a nautical theme.
    mommy2each

Answer by mommy2each at 2:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Theres this stuff you can buy at Home Dept or Lowes called DIF. It is a substance that you spray onto wallpaper to help it to come off easier. I wouldnt waste my time or money by painting over the paper, really. If you get it started, maybe your hubby will jump on the bandwagon too.
    As for the colors...I would go to Home Dept or Lowes (you'll be there getting the DIF anyway,lol) and get some paint color saples and tape them up to your bathroom wall,step back and see what color(s) you like the best.
    Hope this helps!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would remove the wallpaper first.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Definitely remove it... otherwise it will look like crap. I speak from experience!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Remove it!! Painting over it when its already bubbling...looks like crap.
    First you need to SCORE the paper with a paper scorer. If you can remove the top layer, do so. Then spray the paper layer with a mixture of DOWNY and HOT water......scrape with a plastic scraper and wipe down the walls with a towel.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2010