Crib Bumpers

What are moms thoughts on crib bumpers. I know that they say they are not safe, but it seems like nothing is safe for our babies. Crib bumpers came with my daughters comforter and they are sitting under her crib collecting dust (it seems). What are your thoughts on them, does anyone use them?

newmommy102607

Asked by newmommy102607 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My pediatrician told me that a bumper is dangerous and to take it out once the baby starts to move around. Not only can they suffocate against them the strings are a strangulation risk. There's a mesh bumper that you can get at babies r us. It's called the breathable baby bumper. It comes in a few different colors. It's about $30 and will keep legs, arms and pacifiers in the crib. It also hooks on with velcro so there's no strings. It won't help if they bump their head against the crib, but I would rather have my son have a bump on his head and still be breathing.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 1:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Well, there's downfalls to either side. Bumpers can be unsafe because baby's face can get up against it.
    Then again, like my youngest son does, without them, he gets a foot or hand caught outside of the crib and wakes up screaming bloody murder. (He's not hurt, he just wakes up caught...)
    I use one for my littlest guy (3 months).
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 11:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• i used mine. you have to be very sure they are tied on very tightly. and be sure that they don't come lose. but if it really scares you, don't do it. your instincts should be your guide when it comes to your children.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I RECOMMEND getting the SAFE breathable crib bumpers You would not have to worry about the face up against them Cuz the baby can breath right trough them. That is what my daughter has on her crib.. Also helps to prevent arms, legs and feet from getting stuck.
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 11:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• You're right... nothing is safe for them anymore. So you just have to make up your own mind.
    Here's what I did:
    I left them out until I needed them. When my daughter began wiggling around the crib, getting her legs stuck in the bars, I put them in. By then she was mobile enough that they weren't really a risk.
    I then took them back out when she began pulling herself to stand in her crib so she wouldn't stand on them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2008