What should you read to your kids?

I read someone you shouldn't just read them kid books for the maximum reading benefit. So what should you read?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Whatever you want to read to them. Whatever you would like them to hear, whatever you think they will enjoy.

I read kid's books to my son, but I also read: Greek Mythology, The Ramayana, Roman Mythology, Children's stories from different parts of the world...... and the like..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I read various books, but, I also read signs and labeled things in the home.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Anything that interests them, really. Its getting them to enjoy reading that is important.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Stuff she enjoys. My daughter loves trains and animals, and usually kids books have the best pictures for those. Plus we'll pick up the occassional pop-up or tab-lift book for her that's a bit more interactive.

She's not 3 yet, so a book without pictures won't hold her interest very long.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I read kids books, and middle school books, and cookbooks, everything really.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I made a point to have "real" authors in my boy's library . . . Kipling, Oscar Wilde, John Irving, Edward Lear. but not all kid's literature is dumbed down. Try reading the original Alice In Wonderland, the Narnia Series, The Phantom Tollbooth.

here's a site for award winning children's books, or ask a librarian.

don't skip kids' lit. some is not well done, but much of it is wonderful.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• When she was younger and sat still for more than two minutes, I read whatever I was reading at the time to her. It was the only way I could get through a book when she was a baby.
    She still loves me to read a chapter a night of To Kill A Mockingbird.
    So long as you're reading to them, it doesn't matter what it is.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I read everything from the easy kiddie books, golden books, and then moved on to books like Tale of Two Cities, the Original Jungle Book, Count of Monte Cristo, we read the Harry Potter books together and I read them magazine articles and things from the newspaper as well.

I know this definitely was a benefit to them - my oldest son was reading Harry Potter on his own by 1st grade. My youngest not so much - but I found out in the last year he had really bad eye sight, since he got glasses he's doing so much better in school.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My son's pediatrician told me when they're a newborn to read to them whatever you want. A Magazine, an education book, a children's book, it doesn't matter. It's the sound of your voice that they like to hear. Then as they get older and start paying more attention YOU choose what to read to them. You can choose books about specific educational tools .. Colors, numbers, letters, etc. Or you can choose something with a story. The point of reading to them is to get them interested in reading and also learning letters and words as you read.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I read history books geared toward kids, books on letters and numbers, fun books like Characters, and right now we are reading books about not having siblings.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2010