What do you like best/least about your daycare program?

terri61

Asked by terri61 at 2:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• best: no TV or videos ever, very unstructured playtime, no sugar
    worst: hm... some things are a little more loosey-goosey than I would like, but that's REALLY just b/c I'm CDO (it's like OCD but the letters are in order like they should be lol)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Love - that my kids come home everyday with a smile. They absolutely love her. They make projects, play outside, sing songs, a daily lesson, it is completely wonderful. I wouldn't change a thing, except... it is extremely expensive. $250 per week for one child.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It's been a few years, but I absolutely loved so much about my daycare when my daughter was a little one. She went from 18 months til 3 years old.

The people who ran it were great, it was a couple with 5 children of their own and they ran it in their basement. They were just wonderful. My daughter was very comfortable with them and I was able to visit any time I wanted to.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 2:59 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• it depends on which child care. I had some very bad experiences. Two different child cares kicked my son out because they didnt want to deal with his autism. They did not want to adapt anything to him, even when they advertised they accepted special needs kids.
    Where he ended up was fabulous. He excelled and improved so much, He is still there 6 years later. My problem with them it--they are an arm and a leg.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I like the people the best. The daycare goes out of their way to help the community as well as the kids and parents at the center.

What I hate the most is that they accidentally lose and mix up my kids extra outfits all the time and can't seem to get the pay scale corrected. Like I paid $371 yesterday to catch me up through the next two weeks, but it still says I OWE money in the system. Ugh.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• The 1 she was for only a couple of months I liked the face they had cameras everywhere
    NOT that they would just hired people w a high school diploma and have them teach ur kids or just play all dy lol
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My dd is 2 (3 in November) and she has been in a home center since she was 6wks. I like the smaller group of kids. I like the interaction with older/big kids. My daughters speech is so advanced because instead of being in a large center in a class room with kids her own age, she is mixed in with kids from 8mths to 9yrs. She learned to share better and her verbal skills are incrediable. Her hand eye coordination is also advanced as they go on trips to the bowling alley, and putt putt golf and the playground all the time. She runs and jumps and climbs on the big kid equipment like a 5-6yr old and not like a 2yr old.

The smaller group allows for less germ, so my daughter has never been sick. She has only had 1 ear infection in her whole life.
    What I do not like, is that there is no "backup" when the center closes. When my daycare mom has a funeral, or gets sick or goes on vacation, I am SOL
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 3:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I had a bad experience with a home day care provider with my first son. The woman had no respect for me as a working mom, and didn't acknowledge that she too was a working mom. So she didn't respect my wishes. Because she was unsupervised, she could do whatever she pleased.

My youngest now attends a NAEYC-accredited learning center with a low student to teacher ratio, a great curriculum, lots of long-time teachers, and a nice facility.

What I like least is the sand in the play area for toddlers. I hate that my son was placed in that area when he was just 12 months and kept eating the sand, and now I hate that he gets it in his diaper all the time and irritates his skin. I'm all for outdoor play, but would prefer something other than a giant sandpit.

I also have had gripes about them not cleaning up food on the ground/floor fast enough after meals and snacks since my little guy tries to pick up and eat things (yuck!)
    barefootbooks

Answer by barefootbooks at 3:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• well my baby is not in daycare yet but when he start he will be in good care i would highly recommend the daycare im going to put him in
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I love that the teachers and staff geniunly love my kids and that helps them thrive as well. I love that they teach them but still allow them to be kids and play

I'm not a huge fan of the fact that the teacher I drop my daughter off steps in a little quicker than I would want her to, but my daughter loves her and that's not a huge deal, and it's not always, just a little annoying.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2010