When you were in junior high/high school (mainly public school students)

did your school's history and social studies classes cover much of European history at all? And around what time frame did you go to school?

Thinking back, through the 80's, all of our social studies and geography classes put the most emphasis on South America and Asia, a little on Africa, and hardly any time was spent at all on Europe aside from learning the names of countries and finding them on a map. History was all US History and "World Cultures" again focused on Central and South America. Even Spanish classes focused on Mexico and SA more than Spain.

If your kids are that age - do they cover it in their schools now?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in

• It wasn;t even that long ago but I don't remember. Sad huh
    OoShannonoO

Answer by OoShannonoO at 3:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I can't remember HS history at all! I have absolutely no idea.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• no clue..damn. I feel bad.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• In 7th grade we had world history. It started in ancient times and we wound up somewhere in the Renascence period. I was in 7th grade in 86-87.
    8th grade was early American history. Discovery to the Civil War.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• we covered global studies which basically did WWI, WWII and the major wars the USA was in. we might have talked a bit out non war things but the main focus was on the wars that shaped the USA into what it is now...
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 3:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• that would have been my freshman year, we were suppsose to learn most of eurpoe the beginning of the year but we missed half of it due to sept 11th. we did go through the history if ireland and germany
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I loved (still do) history and social studies. I learned a bunch about all over the world. I went to a good school. Now children don't learn that much about science, art, or history. They teach mainly math and reading. Which is sad.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I took almost every extra history class offered (I am a huge history nerd) but still no. I learned a little about it in world history but still we brushed over it. Its a real shame honestly because America based its foundations on European enlightenment.
    MrsKline

Answer by MrsKline at 3:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I was in HS in the 90s and it was mainly US history
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I had to take a World Civilization class when I was in high school. I went to school in NW Indiana and graduated in 1992.. My daughter is not old enough for me to know what they are going to teach here. But for the most part, I remember History and Social Studies classes always starting with the Incas and Mayans and ending before we got to Europe.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

Next question in
Stratford Career Institute

Next question overall (Relationships)
not sure what to do.. adult content