Should the US incorporate a 1 year paid maternity leave like other countries?

This article is very interesting about the labor market 'punishments' that mothers have to make in order to raise a family.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/04/business/economy/04leonhardt.html?_r=1

The article states that "Giving parents here a full year of leave for each child would cost about $25 billion a year, or less than 0.2 percent of gross domestic product."

Do you think that is a better plan and then we could eliminate some WIC, food stamps, and PA?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 3:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i would LOVE to have a year off to spend with my kids but I dont think the USA could afford it at all with the way we are already throwing money around.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 3:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• No. People choose to have children. Why should the Government pay for that choice?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• No that would cause females 2 over have kids just 4 that pleasure..unless there's rules 2 follow which might be tricky not being able 2 get into that
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I don't think our country could budget wisely enough to make that work. I also don't see that eliminating PA or WIC, for it's only one year. It would be nice, but I don't see it ever happening here. Our government doesn't seem to know what the hell it's doing lately. :(

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Wow..that would be great :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• The whole country is fuc*ed across the board. Nothing we do here makes a lot of sense most of the time. I stay home to raise my kids, which of course allows us to get WIC. Currently we recieve food stamps too, my hubby is working part time. There are just no jobs. Sending my kids to day care and me working would literally only bring us ahead $100 a month, we ran the numbers and that doesn't include wear and tear on the car, or the extra money for diapers, wipes, etc that a daycare requires (that being a SHAM using cloth diapers). So the PA we recieve now gets us by. It won't be this way forever. But if the country would do a major overhaul of so many things, it would be more supportive of hard working people. Not make it so easy to remain on PA and be lazy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• That would be awesome!

babies benefit from being with their Mommies......as do Families

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It is a good idea in theory but no. It is my choice to have children. I knew when I had them that I would either have to hire a nanny or quit working. I chose the latter but I also made sure that my husband made enough money to support us before I had children. It would be nice if it eliminated food stamps but that is unrealistic. After that first year they would have to find childcare or quit anyway and then they would be of food stamps anyway, just a year later. Jmho
    MrsKline

Answer by MrsKline at 3:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Here is a link with some of the rules and regulations that Australia put in place.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/australia-gets-first-national-paid-parental-leave-scheme/story-e6frg6n6-1225881031472

thundernlight

Comment by thundernlight (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I've done business in several different countries. For higher level/skilled positions, it is difficult to keep a small business running if you are required to hold a position for that length of time. If it is an important position, you have to hire someone to fill it...but then you also have to get rid of them when the original person comes back--which is a liability because then you're paying unemployment. OR, if you fully disclose that, you cannot get good candidates.

I can see some operations where this would be no problem. But for some very specialized positions, it's really not that feasible. I can't even train someone in my job in a year. I simply can't. We can't afford to have someone 100% cross trained either. We each (in my dept) have highly specialized skills. I think a more effective method would to increase job sharing and work from home when possible.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 3:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2010