my son is almost 15 mo and doesnt like too many meat products....

He will suck the flavor out of chicken and just spit out other meats. He has an iron defficiency and I give him vitamins but he needs the real thing too. Any suggestions?

aidengrant07

Asked by aidengrant07 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is the same way! (17 months) maybe if you ground beef up really small and feed it to him mixed with something else that will help. it helped w/ my son, and hot dogs, but i dont know if thats actually meat but that was the only thing he would eat before.
    JathonsMomma18

Answer by JathonsMomma18 at 10:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My son is 17 months old and is the very same way...my 3 yo still will not eat any meat except for chicken nuggets and hot dogs...I keep offering other meat products and am hoping that eventually their tastes buds mature to like other things. Good to know I'm not alone though. :)
    momof2boyz0103

Answer by momof2boyz0103 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• crazy thing is he doesnt usually care for hotdogs either he refuses to eat vienna sausages too lol could he possibly be a vegetarian this early? We live in texas that's kinda hard to do LOL
    aidengrant07

Answer by aidengrant07 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My daughter did this too. Around the same age she started to refuse to eat ANY meat (except fish) So I had to find other things that she liked for the protein and iron.. Thankfully she loves her veggies and fruits. She is now almost 10 and is just now starting to eat more meats.. but not much and not often.
    Try looking into a vegetarian diet for him for now.. to make sure he gets the nutrition he needs.. and always offer the meat.. some days he may try it.. some days he may not.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 12:42 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My 15 month old is doing the same thing!!!

she loves processed meats like Bologna, Vienna Sausages... stuff like that.

Also like spaghetti with meat sauce or casseroles, she will eat fine because the meat is mixed in.

Does your baby like gravy? maybe try that too.

Green Beans are high in iron, so you might just have to serve them more :) my daughter gets green beans at dinner almost every evening.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• my son does the same thing at 18 months. he will eat everything but the meats. i find giving him "dips its" helps your son may be to young but i will chop up a chicken nugget or something and give him ketchup with it, he enjoys dipping it and will eat the meat if there are dip its. u have to watch them every second tho, or it will end up everywhere.... just try it and see if it works.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I would just relax about it. My toddler grandson won't eat anything BUT meat! He hates his veggies, so I hide them under applesauce. I would be thrilled if he would eat beans and brown rice - a better form of protein than meat. They are just so darn picky at this age and they have no known logic as to why. Just make sure he gets an iron supplement from his pediatrician.
    1-2caf

Answer by 1-2caf at 6:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2008