round two of my son non stop crying

Yesterday, his dad worked a long day into the late night, he does this 2x's a week so he doesn't have to go in every day. So my son is having some separation anxiety. I understand that he misses his dadda, but it's an all day thing.

I thought today he was over the hysterical mess, but again his dad had to go so here he is crying again. He just wants me to hold him, which wouldn't be bad If my back wasn't so bad. So now I put him in his crib. I can see him from where I am sitting and he is looking out the window crying, when he sees someone walk by he stops and stares then cries again.

IDK, I feel bad for the little guy, he misses his dad and if I could I would cuddle him 24/7 but I need my sanity.

What do you do when your LO is missing the other parent and just won't stop crying?

I'm thinking of making a surprise visit to his job just so he can see his dad but I dont know.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 3:35 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have to just help him distract himself when daddy isn't around to "play with baby" as I call it. He is only about 5 months old but he ADORES his daddy with everything in his heart and soul! If he hasn't seen daddy in a while or if daddy is busy and he wants him he will CRY, CRY, CRY! I try to distract him with toys, hug him and hold him as much as I can and if it just won't end I have to sometimes put him in his bed and see if he will play with his toys and possibly nap. Sometimes it still doesn't end until daddy is around to hold the baby. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Sounds like more than missing dad. He is probably teething or getting sick. Maybe an ear infection. Try some Tylenol.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:41 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• we are a military family so we deal with this every other year or so. try having a picture of him and daddy printed on a pillow case or something that he can carry around and hug whenever he needs him through the day. I wouldn't go visit dad at work because your son might want to do it everyday and get him in trouble.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 3:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• my hubby works a lot usually he doesnt get out until like 8 at night during the summer he usually works 7 days a week and then sometimes has to take to shift in the winter its bacworks that his time to relax a little more so my son gets used to beign a little more with daddy and then as same as your he start cryign when hubby has to start working again. i think if you take him to his work it mmight help or it might make things worst because he wont want to leave daddy there and he wont want to return home so you will have a baby crying all your way back again. what made my son better was tryign to get his mind off i would try to spend as much time as i could making him feel special. if you cant carry your son then try puttin him in your bed with some toyus adn you can lay down with him playing with him or watchign a movie or reading a book anythign he likes make it a mommy n baby time
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think you should do some fun things with your LO when your DH is working. My DS would get sad too at first, so I registered for free at my local library and I take my DS 2 or 3 times a week there. They have Infant & Toddler play time, Puppet shows, craft days that are themed like Pirates & Princesses, Dance and Music days & when class is over they have a train table, other kids to play with, books & DVD's. I also take my son to a local park where they have great jungle gyms, a duck pond & lots of ducks. If you occupy his day with fun things to do, they don't mind seeing Daddy leave and look forward to sharing their day with Daddy when he comes home. I also take him places with my Parents. You will have fun too! Do all the stuff you never got to do when you were a kid! Go to your local Library and sign up in advance for everything. They will tell you when the next round of things starts. They are usually in the morning.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• well he's only 9months, but like a PP said, he adores his daddy so much. When his dad is here he is constantly following him around, saying "dadda", they take baths together, go to bed together, wake up together, they are very much in love with each other :)

I don't allow him to watch TV, he isn't really interested in it anyway, but I literally can't even sit him next to me, I have to be holding him or he will cry. Normally if his dad is just gone at a normal day of work he is fine, he plays independently, I play with him, we cuddle and he is just happy, but since there have been longer days he is just miserable.

I'll bring some pics to him though and maybe that'll cheer him up
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• You could let him watch "Baby Einstein" DVD's. They are sweet and have classical music. My DS loved them & he's 3 & still does.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Get one of hubby's favorite shirts and give it to your son when daddy is gone. Maybe having something that smells and reminds him of his daddy will help. :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 3:40 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• he plays with his tie, lol, he tries to put it over his head, but the coordination isn't there yet.

His daddy ended up coming home early because he missed his son, he went to work later to finish, but at least I got a break, and they got to continue being obsessed, lol jk it's cute
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 3:43 AM on Aug. 14, 2010