Is this legal?

I went on disability when I was 6 1/2 months pregnant with twins(the last week of May). I had my twins on 8/13 and I got a letter the other day from my health insurance company saying they were denying my benefits because of "termination of employment" I wasn't fired or even laid off, can the insurance Co. do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I don't think that is legal.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 10:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Maybe the Ins company is misunderstanding the situation. Or maybe they're playing dumb to try to not pay you. (I hate insurance companies.) I had VERY minimal insurance through my job but they paid me for my maternity leave, as little as it was. I ended up quitting, too. I would call the Insurance company and try to set things straight. You weren't terminated, so they can't deny you benefits.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• tell them that you still have a job with the company
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 10:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Is your insurance thru your employer? If so.. are you sure you were not terminated?
    Family Medical Leave Act (If you have been employeed for at least 12 months) will ONLY cover your employment for 12 weeks. After that period of time - it is up to your employer.
    At my work place - I have Short Term Disablity that covers me for 26 weeks.
    I have been out on medical leave since the last week in April.. and had my little girl 8/26/08. I'm due to go back next week. :(
    I would contact your employer and find out what your employment status is... and check with the Human Resource Department about the insurance... they should be able to give you the info you need.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I dont think I was terminated since I go back to work Monday.....it just sucks because my twins were in the NICU and if my benefits were terminated then I will have to figure out how to pay for that...which I know will be way over $100,000.
    Anonymous

• I'd be on the phone!!!! You need to talk to the supervisors supervisor and straighten things out..
    ConnersMom1204

Answer by ConnersMom1204 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• It could be possible that they made an error.. which is a pretty crappy and scary error. I would definitely contact your HR department where you work, bring that letter into them. They should be able to help you out in regards to contacting the insurance company.. or you can contact them yourself. Good luck!
    Patriche

Answer by Patriche at 11:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Hahaha (not laughing at you), you'd be surprised at what they can do. Get on the phone and be prepared to be on the phone forever. Those a-holes (the insurance co.) will find any loophole to get out of paying for your care. I hope your kids didn't have a pre-existing condition, or they may not pay for the NICU either. That's my sarcastic, but unfortunately realistic response.

Now here's my sympathetic response: No seriously, be very dilligent in your efforts and involve your employer, because this could end up being a difficult fight. Good Luck
    Anonymous

• were you paying your premium. if you were not getting paid through work and your insurance isnt 100 company paid. The jack asses didnt mail me a bill and hr failed to metion it when i went on leave. the only way i could look at it was i will pay what i can each month, what are they goin to do repo the baby!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• if your ins was through your employer, they don't have to cover you unless you got a COBRA plan. You don't work, you don't have insurance....doesn't matter what the reason. It sucks, but that is how it works.
    Anonymous