How do you clean cloth diapers? adult content

We are looking into cloth diapers. How do you clean them effectively? Pee ones and Poo ones....(do you use bleach at all?) Also how do you "store" your dirty ones until laundry time? (especially so they dont stink up the room or stain!)

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 3:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Rinse them immediately after changing. I always kept a diaper pail i/3 full of water with a cup or more of 20,000 Mule Team Borax in the water. On wash day pour that water into the toilet, add fresh borax with your regualr detergent. I never used bleach because part of my family is allergic to it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I leave them in a nice bag on my front porch. Once a week a magic pixie visits, and by the time I get home I've got magically got a bag of clean diapers!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 3:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I store dirty diapers in a 13 gallon trash can with a PUL liner inside. Pee ones go straight in, poo ones I dump anything loose into the toilet and then drop it in the pail. Besides some smell when you open up the can there is no resonating smell issue. When I'm ready to wash I toss them in the machine, run a cold rinse cycle to rinse out the poo ones good, then a hot wash with detergent (I make my own), then an extra rinse to make sure all the soap gets rinsed out.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 3:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• In all seriousness though, we use a service and it's WONDERFUL! All the benefits of using cloth, and none of the hassle.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 4:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• dont use bleach! I stored used diapers in a cat litter bucket w/ a lid. I sprinkled baking soda in it to reduce any smell. I never had a problem with a terrible stench. Once I had enough for a load (only wash the diapers together, add nothing else), I put the load on large and on hot/cold. I used a free and clear detergent (www.diaperjungle.com has a big list of detergents to use and not to use). I usually did 2 rinse cycles depending on how nnasty the diapers were. I usually sun dried the diapers. the sun is a wonderful stain remover and makes cloth smell so nice! sometimes after a few hours I put them in the dryer on fluff cycle. If it wasnt a sunny day, I used the sensor function on the dryer then fluff cycle. never use fabric softener.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I use a Simple Human lidded trash can with a diaper pail liner and I wash every other day. Now that she's on solids, we've moved the pail into the bathroom because it was a little stinky when you open the lid. I don't rinse poopy diapers. When she was just on breastmilk, I just put them in as is. Now I will put as much of the poop into the toilet as I can and then put it in the pail. I don't dunk the diaper into the toilet. I just use toilet paper to scrape off as much as I can or if it's nice and solid then it just plops right in. This is my wash routine (I have a front loader). I do a speed wash, cold water, heavy soil with 3 squirts of Bac-Out. Then I do a permanent press wash, hot water, extra rinse with a tiny (maybe about a tablespoon or so) bit of laundry detergent. If the poop was hard to scrape off then I do a sanitary wash instead of the permanent press. Then I dry them on medium for two drying cycles.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• put poop in toilet.
    you can rinse them out with a diaper sprayer if you like.
    for storing the dirty diapers, we bought a diaper pail at kmart about 4 years ago that has a lid and a place for a deo disk.

my wash routine:
    cold rinse
    hot wash w/charlies soap with an extra rinse cycle.
    then another wash/rinse and extra rinse cycle to make sure all the detergent is out.

you can use bleach ocasionally on prefolds, but it's bad for the more modern diapers and skin... borax can irritate some babies and cause damage to some diapers.

for stains, put them out in the sun while they're wet (clean)
    mckomet

Answer by mckomet at 11:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2010