Play groups that teach social skills?

My son is three years old and could use some help with learning social skills and play. Are there any groups that are run by teachers or therapists? Where to find them?

CSJMommy3

Asked by CSJMommy3 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• YES! It depends on your state where you would look. I would look up a play therapy center near you and they probably haev tons of references for things you might find useful. We have respite therapy/social skills classes 2 times a month near me. My son attends one. You could also look up Friendship clubs in your area.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yes. Sometimes they are listed in your local community center brochure. Libraries have playgroups. There's also stuff like Kindermusik, Gymboree, toddler gymnastics classes. Sometimes you really have to search, but they are out there.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• You should have to search and ask other parents. Our area has a few but they inconsistently meet. So I enrolled my son at 2.5 years old in a preschool for 2 days/week for 2.5 hours each day. 70/month...not bad.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Though Gymboree and such are great for NT children it may be to much for a child with Autism. My son can't take those classes. They are to loud and to chaotic for him. If you decide to look into one of those programs make sure you can do a trial class first. My son has been doing Horse back riding. They work on balance, strength, team work and social skills. Now, My son is 6 but the farm he goes to starts at 4.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Where are you located if you don't mind me asking...?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Thank you all for the ideas. I am in Delaware.
    CSJMommy3

Comment by CSJMommy3 (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Your guy doing public special needs pre-school this year right? they should be working on his social skills there. I would be pushing for it to be listed in his IEP as a goal.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Hve you looked at the Autism Delaware website yet? I just looked at it and it seems to be full of good resources. In fact under Resources there is a section for recreational under that there is a sub group for social skills. There is also an online support group. They also have meetings. ther is a calendar of events including Sensory Friendly Films near you!! Ever taken him to one of those? they are AWESOME! Light up sound down lower and the silence is golden rule is snuffed out for this one showing.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• socializing on a regular basis will autimatically teach him better social skills!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My son will be attending public school for preschool this fall. The program is 5 days a week in the afternoon. They are pushing for him to attend a full day program that is far from our home. We feel that a full day program is too much for him at his age. The afternoon program is 5 minutes from our home. He will have a huge adjustment from being home with me to school 5 days a week in the afternoon. I think a full day would be overkill for him.
    CSJMommy3

Comment by CSJMommy3 (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2010