Why is my son so irritable in public settings?

I have a son who is almost 7 months old. Within the past month or so, he has started responding very badly to outings. I am a full time student/stay at home mom. I take online courses. I love the time I get to have with Benjamin but every now and again, I want to get out of the house. I can't take him anywhere for any length of time. He is fussy and inconsolable. For instance,today I took him 5 minutes up the road to Target. After being there only a few minutes, he's screaming and throwing a fit in the cart. Nothing I did helped. It got so bad that I left my cart of goodies in the aisle & fled the store! I feel like I'm doing something wrong. He had a nap and bottle prior to going out and of course I brought a ton of toys to occupy him in the store. These "fits" happen every time I go out. I feel like a prisoner who can't leave home because my child refuses to cooperate for even a moment in public places. Advice?

bensmybaby

Asked by bensmybaby at 4:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sensory issues perhaps?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• One of my twins became a very unpleasant shopping companion at about that age, and I think it was becuaes she had become mobile and hated the confinement that came with shopping. Whenever it was possible, I started leaving her home with Daddy when I went to the store. Another possibility is your baby is resisting the method he is being carried. If you're still carrying him in an infany carrier, he may be ready to sit up in the cart so he can see better. Also, once he's eating snacks like cheerios or puffs, bringing those along can be a great distraction.

Another thought is, he may be noticing his surroundings more, and the store and other shoppers may be scary or over-stimulating. If this is the case, he will likely grow out of it in a few months.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Oops! I should have hit spell check!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Thank you for the advice! Tween&Twinmom, I have tried many different ways of toting Ben around. Shopping cart, (with comfy cart cover) stroller, sling, and even my hip. He's great in his carseat (which is a convertible one so it stays in the car) but once I get him settled in the store for shopping, he loses it. I can only hope this is a phase. Thank you :)
    bensmybaby

Comment by bensmybaby (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It could be all the lights, sounds and commotion. Some babies don't like that. Heck, I feel ill every time I spend more than 15 minutes in Wal Mart. The lighting bothers me.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• my 6mo old starting doing this and I bought a strap on carrier (NOT sling) and he stopped. I think he just wanted to be close to me.... its worth a try

lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 8:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Maybe it is that he is use to being at home and all the new things scare him. Could be the lights like one person said. Could be he just doesn't want other people to be near him at this time. He should out grow it.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2010