What do you spank your kids for?

My DD is mouthy...very mouthy and nothing else is working. So. DH thinks we should start spanking for it. We usually only spank for very bad things as a last resort.

momof2little1s

Asked by momof2little1s at 11:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i recorder my kids when they were mouthy and replayed to them when they were calmer and then they stoped they didn't know i was recording them they just saw how bad they were being and stoped
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I am sorry I am pretty sure u dont want to hear this answer and I am not judging u. I would not spank my children. I was as a child. It did not teach me anything but to be scared. I didnt truly learn a lesson. I just didnt do what I did to get in trouble in the first place again cause I was scared. I dont want to physicaly hurt my child to teach them.
    bubbaelea22

Answer by bubbaelea22 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I use my hand...but we have been trying time outs lately...they seem to be working too!
    embleier

Answer by embleier at 11:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I don't, never will. I used to get the crap beat out of me as a child and nothing good has come of it other than the fact that I will never ever do that to my son or future kids. It doesn't accomplish anything, but instill insecurity and fear in a child.
    unga

Answer by unga at 11:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• yeah, if after several times he continues, if time out does not work, go ahead and give him three swats on teh butt with your open hand. time outs only work if they know they have no choice but to stay in that chair.
    i spank my kids and they are neither afraid of me, or insecure. in fact, if you ask them, they will tell you they are the best kids in the world.
    it won't hurt them as long as we are not talking abuse.
    btw...whatever you do, nip this in the bud now. disrespectful behavior only grows worse as they grow older.
    not that i'm a psychatrist or anything. i've just seen it happen a bunch.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• U are molding kids now. u cant say how they will be in the future. If it will make them insecure or not.
    bubbaelea22

Answer by bubbaelea22 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I can't spank. I think with the laws being so touchy on spanking that I would nt want to risk it. I have slapped hands before, not hard but just to make it known that what he is doing is not good. The few times that I have done that have been in extreme circumstances where what he is doing is dangerous. For example touching the stove or running out into the street. When I give him the shock of a slap on the hand I want him to know that what he did was REALLY bad.

There are many other ways to discipline your child. I really believe in time outs after explaining to them what they did wrong. Put a chair facing a wall, preferably a corner and make them sit there and tell them to think it over. They may scream or throw a tantrum and I just tell him that the longer he acts that way, the longer he will sit in the corner. After a few minutes of quiet. I make him apologize and then we talk more about his behavior. Most of the time the behavior is then fixed.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 12:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• i have a 3 and a 5yr old who are both very mouthy. this may sound wrong but it doesnt hurt them. i put soap in their mouths. mouthing is like saying a bad word only they are saying to us. well that is how my children see it. it has worked and has continued to work
    mother_of_52008

Answer by mother_of_52008 at 4:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I already answered this in group, but I wanted to add, I agree with many of the pp that this could have a negative effect on her self esteem. She is doing this as a plea for attention, your lives have been very tumultous lately. Would you want someone to spank you because you were spending days crying or having trouble getting out of bed? Essentially, what she is doing is reacting to the stressers in your lives right now. Help her find a more acceptable way to deal.
    Blessedw5

Answer by Blessedw5 at 7:20 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I don't spank and never will! It just teaches your children that it is ok to hit!
    RFW

Answer by RFW at 9:11 AM on Jun. 30, 2008