HOW DOES THE NAVY WORK?

MY BEST FRIEND IS GOIGN TO THE NAVY WE DONT REALLY KNOW WHEN WE WILL BE BALE TO COMUNICATE AGAIN HE TOLD ME HE WAS GOIGN TO BOOT CAMP FOR 3 OR 4 MONTHS AND THEN HE WAS GOING TO BE IN SCHOOLING AND THEN THEY WERE GOING TO SEND HIM OFF TO SEE OR SOME SHIP SOMETHING LIKE THAT SO DOES ANYBODY KNWO AT WHAT TIME WE WILL BE ABL TO COMINICATE AGAIN? CAN I SEND HIM LETTER OR SOMETHING

Alejandra10

Asked by Alejandra10 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• You can always PM me if you have any questions. I'm a navy wife so I've been through all of this and going through my 2nd deployment, I may not know everything but I can try to answer your questions.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Okay he will go to boot camp, graduate have maybe 3 days off then go to A school (training for his job) after A school he'll get 2 weeks off but more then likely he will be sent to his duty station. You can send him letters if you know his address. In A school and afterward he's allowed to have a cell phone so you can talk by phone after boot camp.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Boot camp was 8 weeks for my hubby. He was able to call 1 time, for about 5 minutes, basically to let me know he was doing alright. He'll be able to send you a letter, save the address and you'll be able to write him back as much as you want. You can't send care packages to him in boot camp, but he'll love the letters. ;) After boot camp, most go to school, the length depends on where and what they're going for. After school, he'll get his orders. The Navy has a sea/shore rotation, he'll most likely have sea duty first. Sea duty is when they go out to sea, on deployments and whatnot(sometimes they get on a ship that is drydocked in the shipyards). Shore duty is when they work at a base. The rotation length depends on his rate(job). Good luck to your friend, tell him thanks! You guys will be able to keep in touch, don't worry. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Boot camp is only 8 weeks or so long. He will notify his next of kin of his new address and they will pass it on. If you give him your address, he can write you and give you his address when he is allowed to write letters. His A school will depend on what his rating is going to be. Some are a few weeks, some are a lot longer. If he's going undesignated, meaning he won't go to A school, he will go right to a ship. I did 12 years in the navy and have been a navy wife for 5 years. Fun times.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2010