Research Question - For NON-Pagans.

**Please do not take this and turn it in to a debate or a time to bash. I need HONEST and STRAIGHT FORWARD answers**

I am doing a blog entry on how people outside the Pagan community see Pagans, Witches and other groups associated with them. In order to have the best understanding I am asking (go anon if you choose) that you are willing to give me honest answers. If you can't do that, or if you want to cause drama, please don't answer.

Here are my questions...
1.) What is the first thing you think when you hear words such as Pagan, Witch or Wiccan?
2.) Why do YOU THINK you see people in those groups the way you do? Is it from what you have been taught or simply a lack of understanding or a combination.
3.) Are you or would you be nervous to find out a Pagan, Witch or Wiccan lived next door to you and your children? And Why?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• **Note to my Pagan & Witch sisters... I know that honest answers to these questions can seem offensive and hurtful. And I am sorry for that. However, I do ask that you do your best to take a step back and be willing to allow others to express themselves and their true feelings and beliefs without prejudice. Please do not turn this in to a drama post or one used to educate, I am looking for honesty and if people feel they are only going to be bashed or end up with hate mail they won't be honest.

Thanks All!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• 1-For some reason,Celtic and UK area religion
    2-I know its a really old religion and predates Christianity
    3-Not at all! I know that they aren't like Disney witches eating kids and casting spells on people!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• First thing I think is NATURE
    Why..I guess because they tend to focus on the natural elements and ways of healing..but I could be wrong.
    No..I would not be nervous unless their behavior demonstrated otherwise or treated me or others with unkindness.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 4:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• 1) 1st thought. The Wiccan Rede. From there: earthy, peaceful, fun loving, well wishing, environmentally conscious... that's what popped in my head reading your question. lol

2) I don't think I see them in groups. I see them as individuals. My thoughts are based on individuals I've known through out my lifetime, my personal experiences with them/

3)Nope. I've lived with, next door to, dated, been around, hang out with, raised my kid around many a Pagan/Witch/Wiccan. No ill feelings involved in regards to their beliefs. My kid learned lots and has lots of fun experiences with those in our life.. Most likely will have many more.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• 1.) What is the first thing you think when you hear words such as Pagan, Witch or Wiccan?
    They don't believe in the same God I do (baptist Christian), they hold themselves as Gods in a way, evil, bad.

Probably because I've been taught that anything but Jesus Christ is the only 1 true God and all other gods come from evil and are to be avoided.

Probably yes. Because the spectrum is so big I wouldn't know what they believed and what they were into. I believe witchcraft is evil, dark, and not from God but from satan, or demons. I know that some are just very into natural living, nature, peace, etc, and are nice peaceful people, but I'd still be nervous
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• 1) Wonder what that's all about.
    2) I haven't researched their beliefs and would probaly like to know more. So I guess it's ignorance basically---I have no idea what the religion is all about b/c I haven't felt the need to educate myself.
    3) No. I take a person as they are, until I'm given a reason to not want them around my family.
    Anonymous

• First I am Atheist if that helps any in your questions/research. :)

I was raised to think these people were unholy but now I admire them. I see them and think of them as more open and free spirits. Possibly more open than even I am to myself and that is possibly what draws me away from the grouping, other than my non-belief in something larger than me (which I am still sort of undecided on). I see them as being closer to mother earth than the typical person these days as well.

It could be a lack of understanding, although my bf is pagan and so I learn some about the religion through being around him and listening to him speak of it. I have always admired them (even in my
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• 1) I think of people that are OCD about nature (kind of like hippies, but cleaner)
    2) Because? It'd not necessarily a bad thing.
    3) Not really. As long as they respect my right to think different than they do, as I do them. Respect begets respect.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 4:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• 1) Nature based, natural remedies
    2) Learning a bit about it. Having a sister who is into it.
    3)Nah. If they're big into incense I might ask them to cut it back if I start to smell it in my apartment but that's about it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• 1. I think some of them are hippies, some are odd.
    2. I feel that way because a lack of understanding of their culture.
    3. I would not be nervous if I had one living next to me, that goes with all people equally. The most important thing is to respect each individual and take their feelings into consideration. For example: It's the same as I won't try to sway you to be christian and you won't try to sway me to be pagan. I won't sway you to be gay, you don't try to sway me to be straight. And I hate when ppl think we want to hear their bass 3 cars away, that's rude. So all in all, RESPECT. (BTW, sorry for the ramble on #3)
    modaddict17

Answer by modaddict17 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2010