question about school

-I am a business management major. - ha ha ha
-does anyone know what i can do with this? anyone else out there for to a two year to get a simple degree like this? i did so to get myself ahead of some of the people i graduated with. -for the most part not disrespect the job market is just frightening.
-what i really want to do is cook and be a therapist. I am 19 credits away from graduating the business management associates degree. i am taking 12 of these this fall.
-I am due this January.
-so i plan to spend time raising my infant and then take my remaining two classes this nect summer.
my biggest question is how do i manage my dreams? i am starting to feel like this is getting out of hand. i was thinking of striving to get a masters in human sexuality. anyone go that route? just ideas and opinions and of course advice please

thank you

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 4:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• Okay. Well, I guess you will need to decide what you are most passionate about and what is the most logical for you and your family. Becoming a psychologist is a long and hard road, especially with having children. Not saying that it can't be done but just be prepared. As far as the baking, check with your state laws to see if you can open up a home bakery and do that as a side business while you are earning your degree. Or you could make a few desserts and market them to some local restaurants (your business degree will come in handy with this). I completely understand not knowing which way to go. I am in the same position right now. Good luck in whatever you decide.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• " i did so to get myself ahead of some of the people i graduated with"

Not sure if I really understand what you are saying by this. Why are your majoring in something that you don't want to do? If you want to be a therapist, then you need to be majoring in psychology, not business management.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i took the business management to help the skills i would need to one day open my own bakery. if only it was that easy. i want/need to build a cushion to land on before i go into business.
    -bad thing is that and everything comes to where i live dies pretty quick. we do not sustain business well so i gather i will need to move to have a chance. so i hope i can use this degree to get my foot in the door so i can make some money to make my dreams happen.
    -then there is the desire to go for baking and psychology.

i am 24. before my child was born i really could not decide what i want. now my son is 2 and i realize there are things i have always wanted but i always told myself i wasnt smart enough.

i grew up and and let go of that negative way of thinking and so now i have all these things i want to do. but really when is enough enough? am i going to far?
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• thank you very much jeremysmom! that is how i want it to go some of the time. but then things get so jumbled. i want to be a baker and make awesome things that make people really happy - i live to please. but then i want to stay in school and become a psych major next... but then i want to move to vermont - because i think it is absolutely beautiful! and going to the culinary school there... I am from Iowa. i have never seen the ocean! i feel this urgency to do great things so i can take my children to see the things i never got too as a child. - we only traveled to the black hills and places in NE or SD.. because we are on the boarder of the state... AHH! i want my children to experience more then i ever knew was there... i am a single parent. i feel like i can do what i want. i just have to keep focused and chill out on the idea that everything is such a big deal - i need to slowww dowwnnnn :(
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It would be wonderful to turn a passion into a business. Have you done any career counseling inventories to see where your true strengths are and find what career to pursue? Your school's career counseling center/department should be able to help you with this. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i am honestly not sure where to go.. i am in a community college. so i should ask my councilor. I took a test like that when i just got out of high school and at the time i had such a huge negative way of thinking i failed before i started. i think i am still scared because of that feeling... i will shove myself in that office soon tho. - thank you elizabr! -indeed i cannot even wrap my head around doing something i want to do. i think about it and it is like a far off dream... i have always done what i need to - threw myself away when i found i was pregnant especially so i could just get through things... worked a job i hated till i was to fat and sick to work anymore (2 months before i gave birth) it wasnt till i had all that time off that i started really thinking of what I wanted out of life...
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Just one more thing..............Don't think of the inventory/assesment as a test. It is simply a way to see your strengths and interests to steer you toward career ideas. There are probably several jobs each person could love and do successfully. You are just looking for a good fit.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2010