Do you go to a Christian church where everybody confesses their sins?

There was one I went to that was a cult but at least they were doing something right.That church was called;The church of Christ and they go by the city's name,then The church of Christ.This church was like the early church,they met in peoples homes and fellowshipped and everyone was like family.Then I went to Celebrate Recovery and it's like a 12 step Christ centered program for emotional/drug and alchohol problems.Their we confessed our sins and prayed for eachother.

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 10:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• James 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

I'm sticking with what the Bible says. We have experienced first-hand God's blessings as a direct result of confessing our sins to others (in the right setting). It's been healing, freeing and humbling. It helped to break a pride issue in my husband.

OldrWizrMom

Answer by OldrWizrMom at 1:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I got to a Christian based church...but we don't confess our sins to each other. We confess our sins to God and that's the only person...
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 10:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Our church has Celebrate Recovery as well. I've never been to one of the meetings so I'm not sure how they work.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 10:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I wanted to add that for the most part we confess to God but I see the benefits of confessing to one another, esp in a program like Celebrate Recovery. Accountability is a huge step in recovery, imo. We shouldn't be ashamed to confess our sins to one another b/c it shows a heart of repentance and it shows we need one another to hold us accountable in the future.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 10:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Well we do a public confession during our service were we say: "I confess to almighty God, and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned through my own fault, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done, and in what I have failed to do; and I ask blessed Mary, ever virgin, all the angels and saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord, our God." Although during that confession we don't actually say what the sins are. If we wanted to tell someone what our actually sins are then we can go to confession. In case you are wondering I'm a Catholic-Christian.

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• The only one I need to confess my sins (or mishaps) to is GOD. And then it is all over and done with. That was then, this is now, I will continue on and God forever loves me.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Confess sins to who...? Another person who cant do anything for me anyways.??? I dont even need to confess to God, he is all knowing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I agree with 'pwfaith' about accountability.I think it's good to have others know what you are struggling with so they can keep you accountable,for changing your sinful behavior.At Celebrate recovery we all sit in a circle and we each talk about something we are going through and we just get it off our chest and that feels so good,to tell another person,because you are out of your isolation and others can relate to your experiences because they've been through them themselves.Sometimes when life gets really tough, talking to God isn't enough,you need others to come along side of you and comfort you.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 12:58 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My Bible tells me that the only way to God is through Christ Jesus. So...with that in mind, I only confess and ask for forgiveness this way. The point of confessing is being sorry for whatever it is that you've done. I don't want there to be any thing between me and God that will keep me out of Heaven. "Confessing my sin" to any man or woman on this earth, or to any saint or whoever, they do not have the authority of forgive me. Only Christ Jesus. You can talk to others about your problems and they can pray "with" you, but they can not pray "for" you.  This is what I believe.

zachsmom900

Answer by zachsmom900 at 3:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• No. It's a non-denomination.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 12:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2008