Does anyone else have cats that are destructive???? What did you do?

I just rescued 2 kittens about 3 months ago and they are SO DESTRUCTIVE. I really really don't want to declaw them, but I am at the point where I am tired of them tearing up my nice things, so its either they get turned in to a shelter or the claws have to go. I love them, but have not found anything that stops them from clawing up my carpet or furniture. Even the softclaw things, they chewed off... Epic fail with that one lol... Any ideas on how to stop this behavior????

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Pets

• Can you trim the nail or take them to have it done? The softpaws was going to be my recommendation b/c I haven't had my cats chew them off ---yet that is-- Sorry I can't be more help!
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Pedipaws machine

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My In-laws use spray bottles and spray the cat when it does something bad. It took a while, but it worked.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Do you have at least one scratching post for them? Two scratching posts might be even better. My cats prefer scratching posts that are tall enough for them to stretch their front legs completely out.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I bought a super huge scratching post. the $200 one that has tunnels and perches at the top for them... They still tear up my carpet... Its so frustrating.
    BriHan06

Comment by BriHan06 (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Like a PP said, the water bottles help a little. I would give those a try. My little boogers were stubborn though and it only worked while I was in the room. The minute I left they went right to town again. I've heard double sided tape on furniture helps because they hate the feeling of it.
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 9:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My cats are declawed, but one sometimes digs in the house plants
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 2:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2010