do you think a child is disadvantaged if they do not go to some type of organized pre-school?

Not just a day care, but even that versus home until; kindergarten. I have heard many say that children who do not go to some sort of pre schooling are both educationally and socially behind sometimes.
I think its a greqat social experience for them but not sure i agree with them being educationally stunted if they wait until kindergarten.
(I am really hoping we can have a good debate ont his, versus personal attacks and rudeness)
thoughts?

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 5:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Heck yes. As a teacher I see it everyday. The child comes in and has not been to any preschool. They can't sit still, follow directions or a routine, some do not know how to write their names or hold a pencil, socially awkward, cry for weeks on end for mommy and daddy, barely knows their colors and shapes, can't count past 3. Parents think if they have siblings that is socialization..when really socialization is socializing with kids(not family members) your own age or older.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I was told that children that don't go to preschool have a harder time adjusting to kinder.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Nope. I never went to pre-school and in the 1st and 2nd grade I was testing at a college level in different subjects. I was way ahead of my class in many areas. I think that if the parents work with the child a bit before kindergarten starts, that plenty.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I want to ass something. The only problem I really had was being without my mom. My mom was a SAHM and I was used to being with her, so for the first few days, I cried when she left. However, by the end of the first week, I was fine. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• No I do not think so. My daughter has been and will continue to be homeschooled. She's 6 and has never been to preschool or daycare. She is very bright and extremely outgoing
    ashleys2girls

Answer by ashleys2girls at 5:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Children that don't go to preschool are typically behind at the beginning of the school year in kindergarten, but they catch up and in some cases surpass their peers fairly quickly (provided the parents worked with them)

Answer by missanc at 5:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think the socializatin is where they could be lacking the most.

I do feel, though, that parents need to read often to their children. It is one of the most beneficial ways to help them eventually read. I think a little too much emphasis is put on what children SHOULD be doing by the time they get to kindergarten.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My son did not go to organized preschool and he was not stunted by it. I taught him to tie his shoes, to write and to count say his ABC's and somethings that were not required. He knew things second graders did not know but his teacher for kindergarten thought I could not read so she put him in special classes the teacher laughed at her because she was wrong.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think some children could definitely benefit from some type of preschool before kindergarten, while other children are academically ready for kindergarten just by the parent working with them at home. My big thing is that I think a child should be exposed to other children BEFORE kindergarten. Don't have the first day of kindergarten be the child's first time away from mom and the first time really getting to play with other children. That is just setting the child up for one bad day (and possibly a few bad weeks until he/she adjusts). Children don't have to attend preschool to get socialization either. Playgroups, parks, family outings will suffice.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Cont... Having said all of this, I am a big supporter for Pre-K/preschool programs. I really think that it does help a child be prepared socially and academically for kindergarten, but I do understand not putting a child in pre-k, especially if there is no free pre-k in your state.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2010