Am I being an ass or is he?

Sunday my BIL came over early in the a.m. because he was having a fight with his mom (he lives there). DH asks if he can stay a night or two til mom calms down. BIL says he will help this weekend with the garage sale I've been working on for a long time. MIL took her time so he was here until Wedneday night. He pitched in a couple dollars, but pretty much we (who are in a not good financial situation) paid for everything while he was here. Meanwhile I have done virtually ALL of the organizing pricing, cleaning, etc. for this garage sale on my own. So BIL is back to do whatever I need him to do this evening and then be here to help first thing in the am. DH comes in and says he told BIL we would give him a few bucks depending on how much we make. I'm like how much you talking about? I've done all the work, he was here for four days in return for helping, I don't think he should have a share of the profits. DH got pissy.

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• note: i was planning on giving him $10 or $20 for gas anyway... i asked dh what his idea was on this and if that was enough, he's like it depends how much we make. "we".... you mean ME... right???
    figaro8895

Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• give him a few bucks
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If he didn't do anything. He doesn't need to get paid..
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If he did not help around the house while he stayed with you for that week he does not get any of YOUR money.

Answer by louise2 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• he did the dishes once. he cooked his own meal once or twice (our food). a couple lunches of his own he bought. hubby bought him a couple things at the store (cheap... like drinks), we paid for us all to go out to eat minus about half BILs portion (he was going to pay for his part but DH gave him some of the money back). all that he's going to do to help is put up signs with DH, maybe move a couple boxes for me (I'm pregnant), help DH open the garage, and maybe help set a couple things up - most of that's done already, by me. i really feel like the deal we made was that he helps with that little bit of stuff for staying here four days basically with us paying the majority of everything. i cooked us all meals many times, i have my privacy invaded, etc. i am receiving unemployment and hubby is working on being self-employed. it's not like this garage sale is fun money - this is bill money, money for baby stuff we need, etc.
    figaro8895

Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• the BIL isn't so much the problem, it is my dick of a husband who is trying to show off and he is pissing me off because he doesn't seem to be considering the agreements we made, my feelings, or the bigger picture.
    figaro8895

Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i dont think its that big of a deal. he's family, he needed help, providing a few meals isn't a huge deal, maybe pregnancy hormones are getting the best of you?
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Tell him next time to talk to you before opening his mouth to BIL or anyone else.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• oh i would give your hubby half to bil and say iam sorry the rest is for all the food he ate and oh yes jerk where going to have baby this not watermelon under my shirt
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 6:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I'd be a little pissed too, but you gotta get over it. It's not worth a big blow up. Give him what you intended to give him. No more no less. Tell DH that's all you had to give.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 6:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2010