Did you ever have a horrific travel experience? What happened?

Today is Friday, the 13th.

To celebrate and ward off evil spirits, the CafeMom Answers Team will be randomly posting 7 real-life “horror” questions throughout the day. Answer all 7 questions and you’ll receive the one-day-only Friday, the 13th Award.

Cafe Meghan

Asked by Cafe Meghan at 5:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I was traveling by train from Naples to Munich several years ago. In Rome, a guy gets on the train and is assigned to our compartment. He spent the entire night farting, clearing his throat, and messing with the heat and opening and closing the door to smoke. Then, in the morning he changes clothes in the compartment. Right in front of us. No motion to turn around or anything. I know there is a language and cultural barrier but it was horrifying. Utterly horrifying..
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yep. I started my period in the middle of a flight, and had NOTHING for it. It leaked through my jeans. On top of that, I had SEVERE cramps and was laying in my seat crying because I was in so much pain. The poor guy next to me had no idea what to think, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• We went to florida with my mother in law, and her husband. We rode with them from Ohio, with a 1 year old who hates being in the car for even a few minutes. We we're suppose to go to disney world, and a few other things, but ended up going to little places that werent really that fun (besides for them cause theyre older lol) We all got sun burnt, and the whole time we were at the hotel there was a group of kids traveling, with young adult chaparones. They played the ding-dong-ditch with our door all night long. And the manager wouldnt do anything cause they were paying a lot for all the rooms they had. Ugh, it was awful, overall worst vacation I've ever been on.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My daughter gets car sick on long trips and has to pee every two seconds. She also cries and screams. Any long trip or a trip that is over an hour long is horrific with her there.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I was too little to remember but my parents remind me all the time. When I was about 2 or 3 they took me to Sea World. Apparently I got some type of horrid stomach bug and was pooping and throwing up all over the park. It started off at the restaurant we were eating at and just got worse from there.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Another one was when i first flew in a plane. I was so nervous that something was going to happen. The plane was going to crash, I'd get stranded, I'd get lost, or they'd lose my luggage. Well, I got stranded at San Frascoairport with no phone and my toddler son. I got up to the check in counter and say that I missed my flight. It was my fault. The lady starts to argue with me and another guy books me for the next flight out. The lady that argued w/ me said that he couldn't do that. That I'd be on stand by all day. All my luggage was now flying with out me. So it was lost now. I cried all the way to the next check desk. I had to wait four hours to get on the next plane and then find my luggage at the next airport. They saved it. I was a nervous wreck!

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I went to germany with 2 small children alone with only $4 on me. That was like 10 to 15 hours of travel. Thank goodness we had meals on the plane.

Answer by louise2 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• A few years ago hubby and I got stuck taking my mother-in-law to Colorado with us on vacation (we live in Oklahoma). She made hubby feel guilty saying the one thing she wanted to do before she died was see the Rocky Mountains (and now talks about how they really weren't that impressive!) I spent almost two weeks driving her around (hubby was on his bike, we were going to a bike rally) and I can't stand the woman. I hate driving in big cities and everyone we went through she would read all of the billboards she saw out loud, or at least what she could finish from one before moving onto another. My kids can tell you when we drive through lots of traffic I want absolute quiet in the car - no radio, nothing. Of course, she could not get this and every night by the time we were done driving I was a nervous wreck. Oh, and my birthday fell in there two so you can imagine what a great birthday I had!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I honestly can't say I've ever had a bad travel experience. Well I guess I did when I ended up having to stay at an airport overnight because the plane took off 1 minute before I got there (due to my plane being delayed) and they KNEW I was coming. That was frustrating. But I have a "contact" who called and arranged it so I could sleep in the building where the pilots and stewardesses sleep. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 5:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My husband, (who's right side paralyzed, aphasic and can't speak) and I had traveled 300 miles to visit our daughter. On our way back a person pulled up beside me, honking and pointing to the rear of my truck. I pulled over to see smoke rolling out from under the truck. Like a knucklehead, I had forgotten to take off the emergency brake before leaving. That was bad enough, but here I was stranded on the side of the expressway with my disabled husband, who didn't understand what was going on, and then how to get him out of my truck and transferred to my daughter's truck...what a nightmare!
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2010