Scary

I just had a conversation with my 17 year old. Apparently a friend of hers nearly died last night. What happened was the girl was invited to a party by my dd's ex bf. Since they split he has done every drug known to man and wound up in a coma after taking 100+ cold tablets. Well the party turned out to be him and two of his friends. This young lady got very drunk. Her best friend, not my dd, got a call to come get her. When the young lady arrived the girl was passed out, covered in her own vomit, and her pants were undone. Not knowing what to do the bff called my dd hysterical. Ultimately she did the right thing and took the girl home. The girl's mother called for an ambulance and the police. They did a rape test and a BAC. She was 2.9. The rape kit was negative. How can we as parents stop this? I've run into situations where parents are home and the kids still get drunk. It really scares me. Sorry more a vent than a question.

sopranomommy

Asked by sopranomommy at 5:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh and please refrain from "outlaw booze and legalize MJ"
    sopranomommy

Comment by sopranomommy (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• There isn't anything we can do. All we can do is teach our kids and hope they learn. Many of the parents out there never learned so they are unable to teach this kind of responsibility. That, to me, is the biggest tragedy. I'm glad everything ended up being mostly OK, in the end.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Has anyone ctalked to the boys parents?

The kids were all underage did the police site anyone?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I don't know to be honest Sweet. I know the girl is in major trouble right now with her parents. The police were given the location where the boys were so I would guess the boys are in trouble.
    sopranomommy

Comment by sopranomommy (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Just do not have booze in your house. We never do.. we dont drink so our kids dont. There is no alcohol for them to get to because we dont buy it.
    If you have to have alcohol in the house... lock it up.. you would do the same with a gun... both kill .
    Last of all be aware of everything your child does, teach them to make wise choices. Every party my son has gone to is non alcoholic and parental supervision. If I find out otherwise.. the parent will be hearing from me.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• "Nothing we can do ?!"
    Our 3 kids did not go to parties in homes where we did not personally know the parents. Sometimes they ranted and railed against our "unreasonable strictness", but we were unmoved.

We KNEW about stuff like this, and saw no excuse for exposing our kids to these dangers. Generations of teenagers were prevented from dealing with such depravity, why should we chuck our kids into such cesspools just because "everybody's doing it" ... ?

We insisted on knowing where they were at all times. "We need to know where you are in enough detail that if we had to come pick you up for an emergency, we could find you" ... no hanging out at malls, unsupervised attendance at concerts or movies, etc.

Kids ARE NOT ADULTS at 18. Their judgment simply is not matured and they require guidance. Even more importantly, their personality is not yet "gelled", and a disaster could devastate their psyche.
    It's our JOB AS PARENTS ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Teach your kids otherwise. Most importantly, inform and educate you teens so that they can make an educated decision.

The really sad thing is whether the girl was really raped. Could they have been wearing condoms?
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 12:50 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I worry about this I have 6 once they get old enough there really nothing u can do but pray.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:52 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Oh I don't drink, but what do u do when they go to there friends house and they drink.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:54 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• marchar -who knows to be honest. If they did she may never remember because she was so drunk. There's no way to tell. According to my dd they were trying to walk her around and kept dropping her so she was all black and blue. The girl is around 6 feet tall and none of the boys are that tall.

sopranomommy

Comment by sopranomommy (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Aug. 14, 2010