When and how do I stop wrapping baby, he seems to like being wrapped even in day naps?

Hi Lovlies, my 9 month old still seems to like being wrapped when napping but I have noticed that he gets frustrated trying to get his hands out which then wakes himself up. How and when do I stop the wrapping....?

Cheers
Christine :)

MommyBear335

Asked by MommyBear335 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son never liked to be swaddled. My daughter did. I stopped swaddling her at six months old. Because she no longer liked it.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Wow! Still swaddled at 9 mo? =) You just have to stop. You can start with wrapping him only from the armpits down so that his hands are free and then graduate to no blanket at all. Actually, at 9 mo., you could probably just give him a blanket loose in his crib. My son gets one (sort of...I tuck it in the bottom of the crib so that it isn't super loose). As with most things...the first couple of days will be rough but as long as your consistent, baby will adjust in 3-4 days.

ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• He will grow out of it. You might want to wrap him, but leave his arms out.

Answer by louise2 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think you need to stop asap. My son was swaddled until over 6 months and his doctor said that I needed to stop. It was hard! He didn't want to sleep without being swaddled and for the first few nights his arms would flail around everywhere, lol. However, he eventually got tired enough to fall asleep without it. It might take a lot of patience and losing some sleep at first, but it'll be worth it. Here's a bump because I was going through the same thing not long ago, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Why should you stop swaddling? I think if he likes it you should keep doing it. Just leave his hands out.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 6:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I agree that there really isn't any reason to stop if he likes it and just keep his hands out. But if you really want to try to stop how about trying to just put a blanket over him and tuck it under his body so he feels snugged but is able to roll over and get out of it.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 7:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• try a sleep sack , its safer, still feels like a being swaddled and u can put it on like an PJs
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 7:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I agree w/ aqua Jen. If he likes it keep doing it. If he's frusterated try just wrapping his body, and leaving out his arms. Just play around w/ it you'll find something that works for him.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• if he like it then why stop? Just make sure once he is a sleep that you get his arms free so he can move them with out waking him self up. My children did not make it past 4 months. I think if it makes him feel safe then do it. He will out grow it soon enough.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2010