backward letter writing, just a stage?

My DS is 4.5 years old and can write all of his capital letters and a few of the lower case... only all of his capital letters are backwards. Not upside down, so he makes his A's, M's N's, O's, H's I's Q's T's U's V's W's X's and Y's correctly, but consistently flips the other letters of the alphabet. When writing his lower case letters he frequently makes the s backwards and the d's b's and p's but is able to make all the other lower case letters correctly if I demonstrate first. Is this just a writing stage kids go through? I'm aware many children reverse a few letters, and some children even do it into first and second grade, but I've never seen a kid write majority of his capital letters backwards. There are certain words my son is able to spell, and friends names he can write independently, but then he brings me the things he's written and its all backwards. Normal stage of development or not? opinions please!!

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Darling, I have a 5 year old and he does the same thing... I would just monitor it for a while before jumping the gun on the dyslexic thing... I was worried a little about mine but now that I hear yours does the same LOL I know it's fine :)

It's a new thing they are learning, no need to worry but once he starts to read and once he has practised for a while writing I wouldn't worry... It's like a coordination thing I think...
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 5:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Could he possibly be dyslexic?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• That's what I'm wondering, which was why I was curious if anyone else's kid went through the same thing... My degree is in Special Education and I know if in like first grade the child is still doing it with all letters, not just a few, you start to test for dyslexia... but at 4 I'm not sure whether its normal writing development or an issue...
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 5:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• *practice

I think it's a stage if I didn't mention that :)
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• they will test him in school. if possible sent to them to preschool. it worked for my girls. my middle used to do that. now she only gets the lower case bs and ds backwards, but then again so do i lol.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• yeah he went to preschool last year and then of course starts up again this school year... when preschool ended in May he recognized all of his letters, but was only writing the ones in his name. It's been just this summer he's learned to write all the other letters, just not the correct way lol... And when I try to correct him he tells me I'm wrong, go figure :) I guess I'll just wait to see what his teachers say this school year, but it makes me feel better to know he's not the only kid writing this way!
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Just a question...does he have night terrors also? I'm finding that a lot of kids with night terrors have problems with dyslexia.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• he doesn't, he went through that stage when he was about 2.5, he would wake up screaming at the top of his lungs and nothing calmed him... but he outgrew it and now he doesn't even have bad dreams, once he's out for the night he doesn't wake up till morning
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• What you describe is common for a 4 1/2 year old.   Eye hand coordination is not fully developed and some letter reversals, like the d, b  are seen through first grade.         www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 10:18 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Dyslexic maybe?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:06 PM on Sep. 17, 2010