My oldest daughter is starting Middle School this year. I have my concerns about how she is going to really react to a bigger school with more students and how the school is going to handle the students that are getting picked on all the time. She was the one that got picked on lasted year and we really got no help from the school.

BeckyW101

Asked by BeckyW101 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in

• Middle School was two years of hell for my son. He was bullied daily... the school didn't do a damn thing about it. I was so grateful when he got to High School.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I am sorry your daughter went through this, the older kids get the meaner then can get. My only suggestion will be to get to know her teachers; maybe send them an email individually letting them know what your daughter went through last year, also notify the principal or vice principal and the school counselor. Also encourage your daughter to continue to have an open line of communication with you about the things that are going on in school. Good luck and I hope this year goes better for her!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i hated middle school when i was in it .it was always so much drama .well hopefully she will have a much better expirance then i did .just tell her to try and stay away from drama and the whole he said she said thing .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think it is common for some kids to get picked on,and its not right. But there isn't much that can be done. I was not happy until I graduated from high school and went to college---by then kids are suddenly nice and want to avoid hurting the feelings of others. but kids between age 10 and 18 can be so mean. It is , sadly, a part of growing up.She will be fine.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:17 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I had the same concerns with my son. I was real freaked out, way more nervous then he was. We did have an issue with one boy in 5th grade and the school handled right away. I was worried that is was going to be way worse in middle school. He was in the gifted program in elementary, but in middle school only some of the classes were gifted and the rest mainstream. I was worried about him socially because he does think different from the average child. I thought he would get picked on. I was dead wrong. He is in 8th grade this year. He has a lot of friends and had no problem fitting in. All my worrying was for nothing. I hope yours will be to.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 6:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My oldest was absolutely miserable in grammar school. I was terrified of him starting middle school where he would be subjected to bigger, tougher, meaner kids. To my immense surprise he is happy as heck there. The kids seem to be more diverse and he has found a group to belong to. He now loves going to school. Stay positive for your daughter and remind her this is a fresh start. Hopefully it will be a great year for her.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Boy I have heard this same story lately my grandson went today and my helpers son went today they are terrified at what might happen the bullies that bullied my grandson are now all in the same school since my daughter moved him a few yrs ago it stopped now they are all together. Scary. I hope things work out for your daughter.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Thank both of you for the advice. I have 3 years of Middle school. I am planning on meeting the school counselor as soon as I can. She will already be meeting with a counselor due to the fact that it is required for IEP. So on that it should be easier. I think that I would want to set up a system that the school will be willing to work with me on.
    BeckyW101

Comment by BeckyW101 (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• home school her. the same happened to my nephew. tho he defend himself. (karate, Kong fu what ever he trained for) anyway. he did it in self defence. mind u he is being picked on. and yet the school said that his behavior is unacceptable. so she pulled him out of school and started to home school him. every state is different. u might not need a degree to do that. we live in Florida and there is no law that says u cant home school ur kids. all they do is visit 3 or 4 times a years to make sure age and academics is to par and when its time to take take the test u go to the local school in ur area and ur child takes the test there. at the end its all up to u. good luck.
    reina77

Answer by reina77 at 6:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Home schooling is not an option. She has learning disablities that we are not equipted to handle. I did try home schooling her when she was much younger and my mom and I both notice hte same problems that I and or my brother had. This makes it all the more harder for me as a parent and her as a child. So the tessing does get worse for her. I can remeber how it felt. I know that they kids are meaner know a days.
    She is also in Karate. She likes it and know that she is only to use it for self defence.
    BeckyW101

Comment by BeckyW101 (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2010