Are there any adults out there besides me thats terrified of the dentist?

I am scared to death to go see the dentist. I have terrible anxiety just thinking about it. The problem is I need a root canal that I'm working the nerve up to make an appointment. I've been putting it off for a while. Now its come to the point that it has to get done. I'm sooooo scared! I feel stupid. Does anyone else get this way? Not just 5 year olds I hope. If you do get this anxious about the dentist how do you handle it? I have no choice. I have to go. To make it worse I'm going to a dental school where a student will work on me! I'm very scared!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Health

• I'm the same way!!! I've had some very BAD dentists over the years and just the thought is so terrifying that I have been in about 5 years. Now I don't have dental insurance so it's not even a concern.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My DH (and his mother) is like this. He doesn't like to say anything, but I make it clear to the staff that he is very uncomfortable. You need to do the same. Be up front with them and tell them (even if you start to cry). Ask them to explain eveything in detail before they do it and to take it slow. You can do this!! Good luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• You're not alone. I immediately begin crying like a child as soon as I sit in the chair. I avoid the dentist unless I am dying from pain. The last time I went the nurse had to hold my hand while they gave me laughing gas. It didn't help.
    Now I need to go get several teeth pulled and get a partial. I am literally terrified and don't know how I can get the courage up to go.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yes, like Orionsgirl mentioned, ask if someone can hold your hand. Squeeze the heck out of it if you have to.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yep I am! and I need to go sooo badly, but I cant work up the courage enough to go.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 6:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I flipping HATE the dentist. I need to get word done but HA! that isn't going to happen unless they knock me out! you aren't alone!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 6:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I didn't use to be, until a denetist wasn't paying attention as he drilled. Then the next time I had to have a filling they had to give me 5 numbing shots because I was sure I could feel it and freaking out about it. Ended up making me very sick. Now I get very nervous. My mom has to always be seen by students in the local dental school and she has always had good things to say. In school they have to practice several times and there are usually several certified dentist watching over so your probably safer there. It doesn't make you feel any better though I know!
    Dakee

Answer by Dakee at 6:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I'm SO scared of the dentist!! :'(
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 6:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I hate going to the dentist too. It seems like they always want to do way more than I went if for (no, don't clean my teeth, I'll use my toothbrush, thank you). If I go I want to get in, get out and get away from there as soon as possible! I finally found a dentist who's slogan is "We cater to cowards" and they are great!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:51 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• You are so not alone! I am terrified of the dentist, and actually blew off my last appointment.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2010