Constipation

My son is 6 months old and has been eating solids along with formula since he was about 5 months when he started getting interested in what his father and I were eating. He has had rice cereal, apples, pears. We just started him on bananas yesterday and he is constipated today. I already know how to treat the constipation but I am just curious about feeding him bananas again? Should I keep feeding him them so his body gets used to it or stop? Some might say he doesn't need solids but I have to give him StemEnhance (NOTHING to do with aborted babies) twice a day and need to give that to him in solids. Should I refrain from feeding him these? And if so, when can I try again?

BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 6:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would try giving him a little bananas with some prunes or applesause
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• What are the symptoms? Infrequency is not constipation in infants. Passing dry, hard, pellet like stool IS. Not sure how long is safe with FF babies, but EBF babies can go up to like, 20 days without a bowel movement, provided it's not dry,hard or pellet like.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• what Krysa said.
    Then eliminate bananas and cereal. Both are VERY constipating and cereal is nutritionally useless. Constipation is pretty common when solids are introduced, esp in BF babies. Most often because ppl start w/ cereals.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I agree that cereal is constipating and not needed.

If your baby is so sick as to need Stem Cell Enhancers your baby is probably being being seen by a hematologist. Normal babies need breastmilk 2 years. Babies with stem cell problems benefit from breastfeeding 3-6 years. Since your baby is only 6 mo it could be critical that you relactate. I have 3 children and a grandchild with a rare genetic blood disease and all of them would have died between the ages of 12 and 18 mo if they weren't breastfed. A LLL Leader or lactation consultant can help you relactate.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:10 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i agree lay off cereal and bananas till later...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:41 AM on Aug. 16, 2010