what 5 key points to look out for at a daycare? and what benefits are there to send my baby to daycare he is 9 months...?

Hi all, I would like to send our son to day care when he turns 2...what benefits is there to send him to one? and what can we look out for when enrolling him into one...also is'nt Kindergarten the same thing?

Thanks
MommyBear 335

MommyBear335

Asked by MommyBear335 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1) Kindergarten is NOT daycare. Kindergarten is mandated my the state and is SCHOOL

2) You have 15MTHS!!! That is longer then your baby has been alive. Chill Out...

3) ask parents at work, church, wherever you go on a regular basis for a recommendation.

4) at 2, suddenly being left for the day is going to be traumatic. Start SLOW. Expect crying fits for the first 2-3 weeks.

5) look at how clean the daycare is, how clean the kids are, open door policies, lunch/snack menues (If you see donuts, pop tarts, doritoes...stay away), ask for references and call them, ALSO....try and find 20 min or so in the afternoon - during prime pick up time - and park in the lot. ASK parent as they arrive how they like the center.

6) Call the licensing board and inquire about failed inspections, compliance and complaints
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 7:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My son was 8 months when i put him in Daycare. With-in a few months he was walking, learned sign language and by 18 months has a great ability to socialize and has a huge vocabulary. Downside? He is sick all. the. time. I am having a 2nd child soon and won't be able to afford daycare while on maternity leave. I'm worried about taking him away from his friend and teachers. They really do teach him a lot. I'm afraid I just wouldn't have had the time to sit with him and teach him "The wheels on the bus".

I like daycare centers when the kids are young so I know they are getting the appropriate attention. I would google it to make sure there wasn't any bad press or news stories. Ask around for word of mouth suggestions. Then find one that has openings and in your price range.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Umm....don't wait in the parking lot and approach parents! That would freak everyone at my daycare out!!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 7:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• 1. make sure they are following state required ratio (Ohio- infants 5 to 1 adult maximum in a group/room 12)

2. how well staff talks to and interacts with babies (that they are talking to the babies A LOT ... about everything!!!)

3. credentials ask if the lead/head teacher has an Early Childhood education degree

4. how bottles & food is kept and served

5. if all children's personal items are available to them and that they are labeled

benefits: social interaction , exposure to germs (this will happen eventually better young than whenthere is school) break for mom/dad/grandma  potential connections to other parents with children of similar age ( can be priceless)

fyi: i have a 6mo. and worked in child care for two years with 18-36mo olds, current SAHM also looking for child care so i can start a new pt job

lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 7:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• The ideal situation for a young child is to be cared for by parents that use an authoritative parenting style, no day care. K is usually for 5 and 6 year olds. According to the quick search I did, no state mandates that children attend K. Most states don't mandate school until children are age 7. The best schooling for children is homeschooling.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:55 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• go into the place if you dont feel go about it when you walk in to visit dont let ur child go there...ask bout there license and degrees the teacher hold. ask to see their menu curriculum and look in on a few rooms...ask other parents how the like it. ask about prices and discounts. ask bout their security and check out and in procedure. and what ever else comes in mind...gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:40 AM on Aug. 16, 2010