How do you feel about "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"?

Please read the following article.. btw.. it's an associated press article..not from a blog or rumor email.

Lesbian cadet quits West Point, cites 'don't ask'

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100812/ap_on_re_us/us_west_point_lesbian_cadet

FeelinYummy

Asked by FeelinYummy at 7:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Gays have always served in the military, but what i don't understand is why now do they think they have to get up on a soapbox, and announce it to the world. They seem to want to wear it on their sleeve like a badge of honer.

It isn't about getting on a soapbox--it is about being able to have a life that includes a spouse/significant other. Heterosexuals have no worries--they date, get married, have families all on display and it is fine and dandy. DADT is discriminatory based on private behavior that is no one's business.

If gays can't tell, than in all fairness, neither can straights. No dating, no marriages, no families, no children---no sex or personal relationships at all.

If that was the rule, can you imagine how fast it would change?
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 1:17 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think they should get rid of it.

Answer by older at 7:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It is just wrong. An individuals sexual preference has nothing to do with the ability to competently defend our country. The ones who have a problem with it are the close-minded individual who wrongly believe the presence of a homosexual will jeopardize safety is some stupid capacity.

Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 7:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It needs to be disbanded. In addition, all those sevice members who can not deal with working with men/women who have varying orientations, need to be gone as well. No excuses, gone-dishonorably, if warranted.
    Military memebrs are not special; above it all.
    Would any other job/career/employer accept this kind of attitude or antiquated behavior from their staff?
    The answer is NO.

Military members need to get up to speed and start relating to and treating each other with the respect and consideration that all humans deserve. This behavior has not been tolerated in the American work force for a long, long time.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I feel that THIS girl knew when she went in that this was the policy and that if she didnt like it she should have waited to join till the law was changed (fight it) or not join at all. No one made her join. She chose it. Its her choice to quit. I think that the decision of dont ask dont tell should be left up to those in the military that fully understand the ramifications of it not being in place. Also, as someone said in a PP a while back, you cant legislate acceptance and those that are rude are ALWAYS going to be rude. Just like women get sexually harassed by other soldiers all the time. They arent supposed to do it. It still happens.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• DADT also only applies to homosexuals. Heterosexuals have no such constraints, but their sexual preference is on display through dating choices, marriages, families while homosexual military personel must deny such companionship or risk losing what they have worked for. It is unfair and discriminatory. My best friend is gay--after being friends for 30 years she told me last year. My response--well, I guess it is time for me to tell you...I'm straight! She laughed at the absurdity of that statement and I personally find the regulation of personal disclosure to be ludicrous. It has nothing to do with the ability to complete a job, perform a duty, fulfill an obligation, defend a nation, or be a good person. The private activities that take place between two consenting adults is no one else's business. (I can't promise rant over--this issue really irks me!)

Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 7:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I believe that DADT is wrong. Our soldiers ALL need the support network of family and friends, not just heterosexuals. Gay soldiers have to deal with things without that, or hide/sneak communications with their partners and it's just plain hard, particularly so when they are deployed into a war zone.

As a military spouse and mom, I firmly support our military. This is something that needs to be worked out within the military and I feel the civilian population should stay out of it. Civilians can not comprehend what military life is like ~ for the soldiers or the families, and certainly not for the leadership.

At the moment, the ranks are split on this just about 50/50. I've seen those numbers changing and I'm fairly certain that DADT is going to go byebye soon. In the meantime I agree with PP ~ those who are gay should either hold off on signing up or hush until that change comes, especially if they truly want to serve.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Sisteract, the military is not like any other job ~ bar none. Others risk their lives daily, but that is the only similarity. You can't 'quit' a military job. You can't take a day off when you want to. Frequently you can't take a day off when you NEED to. Being a soldier already means relating to and treating each other with respect and consideration ~ but it isn't a part of (and wouldn't function) in the American work force that you are familiar with.

Whether you're a cook, or a mechanic, or the one refueling planes, first and foremost every soldier is a professionally trained killer. The idea may be to not have to use it, but when we do that's what soldiers do ~ and ours do it best.

I know a lot of gay soldiers and I personally know the heartache and stress that DADT causes them ~ but I also know that no civilian is capable or qualified to settle this. It has to come from the military itself.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• "Don't Ask Don't Tell" was probably the best thing Clinton did. If you think about it, it is perfect. Don't ask about people's sex lives and if someone is gay..don't tell! Sex does not belong in the workplace period.

I think the girl is just seeking attention. She knew the policies before she joined. IMO, not only should be be dismissed per her request, but should have to make reimbursement for the cost of her schooling if any has been paid by someone else.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I don't believe in the don't ask don't tell! I don't think it should be an issue at all, it should be open to all no matter what, unless you're a terrorist of course. I think you should be able to sign up look at the recruiter and say f'u i'm gay n' I think you're butt ugly, and there is nothing they can do about it.

but I don't believe in her resigning. that's like saying, every strait person can resign when gay ppl are allowed in. Why is it right for her to resign like this, and once her don't ask don't tell get's lifted and everyone can join, that strait people can't resign. It's fair and it's equal.
    I don't know if anyone agrees with me or not, but that's how I feel. I think people thought I was against homosexuals from being allowed, but that's far from what I think. i just don't think she should have that right.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 8:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2010